Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

protected WMA to itunes?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Arikash, May 14, 2005.

1. Is there a way to change your protected WMA files so they aren't protected, and you can transfer them to itunes.

I'm asking because I just got an ipod, and can't put any of my music on it because of this.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I don't know about how the DRM'd .wma works, but with protected iTunes files, if you burn them to disc, then reimport them, it removes the encryption. You will suffer a minor quality loss, but it will also kill 2 birds with one stone, because you can reimport them at .mp3 or whatever will work on your iPod. In theory at least, I don't know if protected .wma works that way.

3. It's not a digital-to-digital conversion or removal of encryption, and you've got to do it one song at a time.... when I want an MP3 of a protected song, I play the song with WMP but as I play it I use CDex to record the computer's audio output to an MP3 (it'll do other formats too...) This is what I use to get songs off of Rhapsody (yes I finally got Comcast Rhapsody to work without destroying all my security settings).

If you haven't downloaded CDex (it's free), your sound card probably came with a WAV recorder, so you could record it as a WAV then convert it.

4. Use Media player to burn it to CD-RW, rip, transfer and play...

Enjoy!

5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    neither of those two methods worked for me.

any suggestions?

6. Make sure you burn them as an audio CD, not a data CD so it converts the files to .CDA. (a variation of .WAV) Look on the CD you burned, and note the type of file. If they're still in the .WMA format, then that's the problem.

7. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    yup, thats the problem.

how do you burn it as a .cda from windows media player?