Protecting an autograph on my bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by xolin, Oct 17, 2005.

1. I just had my bass signed the other night on the back of the headstock, but the neck and stock on my bass are finished with a clear gloss so the name will definitely get smudged (in fact, my whole bass is finished, so there was nowhere else). Is there some sort of spray or coating (that wont risk smudging the black Sharpie autograph) for it.
    I did a search but found little useful info.

Much appreciated in advance,

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

It depends on who signed your bass;)
  3. Heh, I appreciate the humour, but do you have a SOLUTION? :smug:

(it was wooten if you're interested)

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I had the guys in King's X autograph my Hamer 12 string, since they (and especially Dug) are the main reason that I own it.

I sprayed over it with clear Krylon.
  5. Where would one get Krylon?
  6. Most home centers and hardware stores carry clear Krylon or similar. (Its clear paint)
  7. Oh, I think i bought some of that for a project last year...may have some left...

Thanks a lot guys. Hopefully future searchers will find this useful.
  8. know I'm getting a bit of stage fright with this one...

Is it possible that the paint will remove the sharpie? Its on the back of the headstock so it wont be worn away at. Is there a safer option?

Just covering all ends.

9. Doug Wimbish signed the back of my Modulus. I was afraid it was going to start rubbing off so I went to an auto parts store.. They have a clear 3M film that they put on the front of cars that acts like a "bug bra".. Its a bit expensive but I cut a piece of it out and slapped it on the back of my bass.

Actually, I think I still have 3/4 of the roll left. If you want, send me the demensions you need (as long as I can fit it into a regular size envelope) and I'll drop you a piece in the mail. That way you dont have to spend the $18 on a whole roll.
  10. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Great thread...Willie Weeks played on a bass for a couple of weeks while in Japan a few years was given to me by one of my brothers for my birthday....
  11. Hey, just to get back to you guys: The 3M film that Bobby so kindly sent me worked perfectly and I highly recommend it as it took 2 seconds to do it without problems.

The film worked out awesome. PERFECTO! I just have to trim and smooth a bit of one edge with an exacto to make it more flush and unnoticeable but the whole thing looks great with no bubbles and no smudging.

Thanks again, Bobby. Huge help, man!
  12. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Chuck Rainey signed my fretless Jazz. This became funny a year or two later when I got to take lessons from him.

He signed it in black sharpie, next to the bridge and it is still there, fifteen years later.
  13. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Just for future reference, you can mark your underwear with
    a Sharpie, launder it 100 times and it will still be there.

Krylon is ok. I would go with Testors ClearCote or DullCote
    that you can get in Hobby Shops in small spray cans.
    The Testors formula is less likely to create problems like
    on an already finished substrate. Krylon and outdoor finishes
    like Rustoleum can have fairly aggressive formulas that can
    soften other finishes. The X-Cote is made to be safe for
    Styrene, and I have never had any coating or bubbling issues
    with it, other than the ones I caused through poor prep.

On a final note, Sharpies and film are good, NJL still has my
    sig on his forehead where I put it when I visited him last year,
    and hopefully he hasn't taken his yearly bath yet and rubbed
    the film off.
  14. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Steve Harris signed the pickguard on my 85 Ibanez Roadstar.
    There was no way I was going to slap it back on the bass unprotected. My brother, the mechanically inclined one, bought the thinnest plexiglass available and traced the pickguard onto the plexiglass. Then he cut around the trace and we ended up with a pickguard cover. The cover fit perfectly over the guard and the signature stays in tact.
  15. I never knew what a 'sharpie' was until this topic finally peaked my interest, so I googled it. It's (As I guessed) a marker pen! What is it with americans and calling things by brand names??? :D
  16. It's not a band-aid, it's an adhesive medical strip! :p
  17. Thor

I never went up an escalator on my mo-ped with a kleenex scotchtaped to my dominating abercrombies.
  18. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Well, I let you do that because at your age if I didn't, you would constantly forget who I was every 20 seconds or so....

That's what you call a "real friend"....

19. Thor

Isn't that the bass that Willy Weeks signed?
  20. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Some clear-coats will dissolve the sharpie. Use thin coats of Future Acrylic floor polish. It cures into a very durable finish.