1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Protecting signatures on guitars, etc

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ElectroVibe, Nov 15, 2018.

1. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Does anyone know if there is a standard way of protecting the signature made by a famous musician or other celebrity, after they sign an object, such as a guitar?

Some people go to conventions and pay a large fee to meet the celebrity and get the autograph. It's often done in the hopes of selling it later.

To me, it seems like the signature could be accidentally rubbed off. I just wondered if they sprayed over the signature with a clear acrylic paint or something.

2. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

I had a jazz bass that got autographed by mark Egan.
    I went to the office where I worked at the time and got a can of Workable Fixatif.
    The stuff they use to keep blue prints from smearing.
    Sprayed a light coat on and voila.
    Ymmv

ElectroVibe likes this.
  3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Interesting stuff:
    Protects your pencil, pastel, chalk, charcoal, crayon and India ink drawings while preventing smudges and wrinkles. Formulated to allow erasures through coating to rework artwork. Just right for use on plastic, dried silk flowers, paper maché, ceramic, plaster, glass, metal, wood or paper.

Details:
    • 11 oz. (311 g)
    • Non-yellowing
    • Moisture resistant
    • Acid free
    • Archival safe
    • Dries to touch in 30 minutes
    • Dries fully in 1 hour
    WARNING: Extremely Flammable.

4. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    "Formulated to allow erasures"? That doesn't sound very protective.

5. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I have a signature on my guitar that was done in black permanent marker. I'm afraid to apply anything on top of it because it might bleed through and run or otherwise react with it.

I've just left it alone and try to avoid touching it.