1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Protecting Your Cabinet: Duratex?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SplinteredSkull, Oct 1, 2013.

1. I was planning to build a fEARful 15/6 and I was going to protect it with a coat of Duratex. I figured it would be easier and quicker than using Tolex. Are there other alternatives? Does duratex do its job?

2. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    For a split second, I thought this said Durex.

Lol.

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Duratex is the bees knees.

One piece of advice, the better your cab looks before painting, the better it will look after.

4. There have been several threads here on Duratex over the last couple of years and so far the reports have been positive.

5. Cool deal. Does anyone know about the amount I'll need to cover this size of a cab? And does paint stick well to it? Any certain kinds that don't stick, or work best?

6. NomadesCabs

NomadesCabs Commercial User

Oct 1, 2013
    Owner, Nomades Cabinets
    It does its job but I would not say it is more durable than tolex. If you got the extra cash, go have it sprayed with some bedliner (Line-X, Rhino Linings, etc). Worth every dollar invested.

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    My pet LineX coated rhinos:
    fEARful-front3-tx.
    fEARful-side-tx.
    fearful.

8. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
  9. Is that simply sprayed on? You just spray the thing onto the bare wood, and it will look like this?
    fEARful-side-tx.

10. The reason why Duratex is better than tolex is that you can easily touch it up. Once you rip the tolex its all down hill.

11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Pretty much, yes, though it was done by folks who spray pickup truck beds, I think. Honestly, I didn't build it, so I can't advise. I suggest asking over at the greenboy fEARful user and builder forum. Even if you don't have or are not building a greenboy cabinet, it is a worthwhile forum. :cool:

http://greenboy.us/forum/

12. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Yes, Line-x is simply sprayed on to your completed, unloaded cab. My guess from having a couple cabs done with it is around 60-70 bucks to have it done for you. A gallon of duratex costs about that much and you'll barely put a dent in a gallon only doing one cab. So, if you want a once and done, nearly indestructible covering, yeah, line-x. But duratex is no joke, either, and you can decide how textured you want it to be, and touch it up if it gets a chip.Line-x is a thing you have to have done for you, on their time (so you most likely have to leave it there and come back days later), it has really no "options" other than black, heavy textured, and IF (hasn't happened to any of mine even with some pretty serious bumps) it chips, you won't have the stuff to touch it up.

13. butcher

butcher

May 24, 2011
    I had rhino lining sprayed on the bed of my F150 when I got it new. Stuff really is indestructible. One thing to consider... is that you have to protect things FROM the rhino coating that isn't rhino coated. I ended up having to put a carpet remnant over the truck bed when hauling gear so things wouldn't get scuffed up by the lining.

I think duratex is more of a pliable hard-rubber like finish and the peaks are smoother.

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Duratex is GREAT. There is a small learning curve, but once you get the hang of it it is really easy to use. Get a full bucket and do a couple of trial runs on scrap wood.

Mine is indestructible. I just roll my 4-10 up to the back of my Tahoe, turn it with the back facing inside, grab the bottom and FLING it in. Not a scratch on it anywhere. And I usually catch the trailer hitch with it too. Good stuff! And doing it yourself is fun and rewarding.

15. Right on; I believe I shall go with the Duratex then. Thanks guys :) and any word on how regular paint sticks to it? I imagine it wouldn't be a problem. I'm having a friend of mine do custom artwork on it.

16. butcher

butcher

May 24, 2011
    I read somewhere that not much sticks very well to the Duratex.

17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah I wouldn't think it makes a great canvas for artwork. I'm a fan of the stuff. But it's made to look like a clean black box and be tough as nails.

18. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Duratex is easy to apply and looks great. It is not as durable as properly applied Tolex, and bedliner is quite expensive but extremely durable.

19. Hmm.. any suggestions as to how to get art to stick, or something else I can do?

20. dspellman

dspellman

Feb 16, 2012
    Eckchoowally, you can get LineX in virtually any color; they'll even look up the color code for your pickup's paint color to match it. You will pay extra for that. http://www.linex.com/pages/2010/bedliners/products/xtra.php

If you don't mind black, though, you can often walk into a LineX shop and have them spray the cabinets while you stand around and look at the out-of-date truck magazines (black always seems to be loaded up). Leastways you can at the place around the corner from my office. You can walk out with it as soon as it's cooled (it's sprayed on hot), which is often less than a half-hour after it was sprayed on. It's actually hard in about 10 seconds after it's been sprayed, but they tell you to treat it nice for about 24 hours.

The real differences between LineX and Duratex are that LineX is nearly structural (they're using it for anti-spalling explosion resistance in the military) and it's heavier (because it's a much thicker coating). LineX coated cabinets will laugh off some pretty brutal handling. But it's also more expensive than Duratex, which is more than adequate for most uses.

There's a version of LineX that they're actually using as a kind of car paint ("body armor") now, and it lays down a bit flatter than standard truck-bed liner. I haven't really looked at it, but it might be a great choice for speaker cabinets.