1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Protecting Your Cabinet: Duratex?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SplinteredSkull, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Another thing to think about is the solvents. Duratex is water based. Line-X and similar products are based on VOCs. I have used both, and without a serious respirator or even supplied air, Line-X is a bad idea. Duratex smells like latex, which is probably what it is. I have Duratex on a PA rack I built. It was built with plywood left over from a project. The plywood was finished on one side and unfinished on the other. When I built the box, the pieces were routed and then epoxied together to make a strong joint, but I made no effort to hide the end grain of the plywood. Duratex made all of that disappear, since I rolled it on with a fairly heavy stipple. It stuck well to both the unfinished plywood and the finished, sealed plywood. That was couple years ago. It is holding up very well.

The Line-X type stuff I used was called Rhino Liner. It worked as well, but was more abraisive. It was on the floor of my van. It stuck to that, so I have no doubt it would stick to plywood. My opinion is that unless you want a color other than white or black, there's not much reason to use anything except Duratex.

2. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    That would be great if it were true at either of the locations near me. I've been told on more than one occasion these color options aren't available to franchise owners, which 80% of the line-x locations are. also, it would be great for a wait for a bit and it's done service, but once again, not true, with most locations, because being proprietary, the company holds it's franchise owners closely to the leash, charging obscene amounts of money for the equipment. most locations have ONE gun.

Hey, I'd use it lots more, but it's just too expensive and waiting days is not an option. as well, not everyone wants a black covering. I hope more locations offer color, but around here, they don't. I've even told them that's why they don't get my business anymore. I pay 5 bucks to have a gallon of duratex tinted, and can choose any color i want, takes 2 minutes, and i can make the texture rough or smooth.

My cabinets are hopefully not being exposed to explosions or thousand-pound impacts. I agree that the cabs i have done with them are way more likely to cause damage than accept it, but it's just too much of a hassle to use it unless the customer specifically wants it.

3. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Duratex can be found in a tint-able deep base. I t can only take some deeper shades, but it gives you quite a few options. the white can take tint, too, but has its limits also. now combine the tinting options of those two with black as well, and why not have the artwork done IN duratex? That's what i do. I have two cabs being done at this very moment-- probably have them back within a week, i don't feel the need to try and rush the "artist". I had a gallon of tint-able broken down into quarts-- red, yellow, blue and untouched, as well as white and black-- gave it all to the artist ( ~ $200 bucks worth of Duratex, so i'm a bit anxious to see what comes back) and gave him no restrictions on what to do with the cabs--- so we'll see!

4. That sounds like it will turn out very cool; and isn't a bad idea. Definitely upload pics of that when it's done :hyper:! I'm not sure if I'm willing to dish out that much money on it though haha. If I was doing an entire covering sure- but a simple design on top- nah. I think we might try some sort of clear coat on top and have the paint stick to the clear coat instead

5. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Well, i can't put up pics, that's gratuitous self promoting. see "da rulez". anyway they're guitar cabs.

6. Lame :meh:

7. Well i don't think they have Line X in europe. I will try Duratex though, i have a fixer upper cab that could use that...

8. DuratexSupport

DuratexSupport

Nov 9, 2017
    Good afternoon Eukatheude. Although this response may be outdated but Duratex is now in Europe! It can be found at Soundimports.nl

9. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    I special ordered green Duratex to recover my old Goliath Sr. They can match pretty much any color swatch. (Their CS was excellent, btw.)

Love ease of application and the results. It's proving tough so far. Just make sure you apply it when it's warm.

DuratexSupport likes this.