1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Protection at College

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Hyperfreak, May 6, 2010.

1. Hyperfreak

Hyperfreak

Jul 29, 2009
    Chantilly, VA
    Independent Recording Artist
    Thieves are tricky, I know it. But being prepared is the first step, or so I've heard.

My setup in the dorm room is going to be comprised of the following:
    A $2000 high-performance laptop
    An M-Audio Fast Track Pro recording interface
    A Mackie 1202-VLZ Pro analog mixer
    A custom-built desktop computer
    A USB desktop MIDI controller (Cheap, not so worried.)
    and a few assorted effects pedals that tend to stay on my desktop (vocal processing, mostly.)

The laptop and desktop computers aren't going anywhere; I've got the necessary locks. However, my compact mixer, pedals and external hard drive are all fine items that I would like to protect from easy theft. Does anyone have any suggestions short of dismantling my setup into a chest or locked cabinet every day?

2. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    Get a DJ coffin mixer case or large keyboard hard case and put under the bed and lock it all in that.

3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    yikes. Get some insurance, backup your laptop to media regularly and be prepared for some hassle & heartbreak.

4. FF Petro

FF Petro

Feb 16, 2004
    ATL
    If there is anyway to keep your gear out of plain sight that would be a great start. Cover your stuff or whatever and that will take a lot of the threat of theft away.

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Ask the campus cops.
    Stuff that easy to sell is going to go first. Cable locks and all.

6. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    See if you can room with a friend. Or keep it at a friend or relatives house.

7. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    1. Know your roomie
    2. Nothing in plain sight
    3. Door locked everytime you leave
    4. Put things in places you don't normally expect valued items to be, I regularly store my pedals and tuner under my dirty laundry
    5. Leave expensive things at home if possible and only bring practice gear
    6. STOP LIVING ON CAMPUS ASAP, its like asking for trouble, 75% of campus crime logs are theft
    7. use your best judgement, you made it to college, you know what petty thieves look for and expect

8. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    Get a well trained rottweiler :)

9. Hyperfreak

Hyperfreak

Jul 29, 2009
    Chantilly, VA
    So I suppose it goes that for the time being with a roommate I don't know, I should go ahead and bring the chest to college or simply leave the mixing gear at home until I can room with someone I trust and know will lock the damn door, eh?

10. I'm in college too...stuff gets stolen rarely, but when it does it's always something huge. Don't leave anything in plain sight, trust no on with your stuff, and lock everything up.

11. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    jeez, i can remember when "protection" at college meant using a condom....

12. Murph#2

Murph#2

Mar 24, 2010
    murph#2
    Lo-Jack

13. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Sounds like a wise plan. It might even make sense to leave the stuff at home so you can approach the new scene with an open mind about what your interests will be, because your interests will almost certainly change.

14. Hyperfreak

Hyperfreak

Jul 29, 2009
    Chantilly, VA
    Well I'm not entirely sure about that. That tends to be the norm for everyone, but I discovered Music Education was the path for me in my Freshman year of high school and I've never looked back. I've spent two years now helping teach some of the beginning classes and giving lessons, and there's nothing I'd like to do more with my life.