Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

protein bars

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i'm writing this thread cuz i just finished one and i feel like i'm gonna puke again! what's with these things anyhow - and what's your favorite one, if you eat them.

any time i find one I like, by the time I get to the 4th box of em I can't stomach them anymore. and they always taste pretty good at the beginning. my latest is myoplex low carb. before that it was pure protien.

what's your favorite. do you get sick of them after a couple of months too?

2. Usually I get more used to them. That said, there are some I can't eat without gagging, such as several flavours of pure protein and the chocolate peanut butter mesotech bar.

My favourites? I like the sportpharma promax bars, I like most of the flavours. I also like most Met-Rx protein plus bars, and Labrady Lean Body bars. My favorite is the Lean Body Mint Chocolate.

Geoff

3. Never cared for them much, always seemed like a rip off. I used to eat some I bought from the convenience store across from school when I forgot lunch or whatever, they weren't that great quality, but they were relatively cheap and still a lot better than chips or chocolate bars.

Usually I just bring real food though, it's cheaper.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    protein bars are generally not for daily food replacing consumption.
    they are more for if you have a hectic physical day/week and you need a little extra protein.
    that said
    Pure Protein brand is generally the best, in terms of balanced proteins and quantity...though its not the best tasting.
    I drink a Whey Protein powder, and I've noticed that since I started taking it(in conjuncture with the start of the soccer season at school) I get less fatigued, sore, and I recover quicker than I did before.
    another use for protein bars I find, is in backpacking, when I'm backpacking protein bars are lighter weight and provide more nutrition than most of the meals I would normally be eating. so I can backpack further without any strain or fatigued.

but yeah, if you don't like protein bars, then you don't like them, they are sort of an acquired taste I guess.

5. I've only ever used just powerbars or balance bars. Seem to work the best for me and my workout. I've tried other Protein bars, and they just taste like crap and don't sit well in my stomach. Kinda makes it hard to run and lift if you feel like you're gonna hurl.

But the balance bars are dang near perfect for me. 210 cal, 15g protein, enough carbs and fat for energy. Works for about 1 1/2 hours for what I do.

6. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Another vote for the Met-Rx bars.

7. what a protein bar ?