Protein Powder

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Kraig99, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Alright, this is for all you fitness and nutrition buffs out there. I've been using protein powder for about the past 3 months, 2 scoops right after a workout, because I've being trying to get as much protein into my diet as possible. I've heard that to really build muscle, your body needs 1 gram of protein per pound that you weigh. I weigh about 155 and I've been getting somewhere close to that each day, but I haven't really been seeing any results, either visual or on the scale. Is protein powder worth it or am I wasting my money, and how long should it take to get serious results? Thanks!
  2. Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Don't take that stuff man. It's bad for you. It doesn't even do any good. Your body can only absorb so much protein every four hours, and all the excess protein just goes right to your kidneys. This will give you kidney failure when your'e older. Just stock up on protein the normal way, by eating right. It is ok to make your meals a little more protein-heavy. Don't ever force any supposed nutrition into your body that you can't get normally by eating a balanced diet.
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Too right...

I'd also like to see you looking less at the scales. Whenever I train in the Gym, I get more muscular and stronger but barely put on an ounce. A lot of people are the same. It doesn't mean that working out is a waste of time, it just means I was never meant to look like Arnie.......
  4. When you are working out, you really shouldn't be looking at the scale too often. Your weight really depends on the time of day and how much food or water you have. It can vary quite a bit from time to time. Just work out, eat some good chicken or fish, and rest the next day. The resting day of course is when your body heals and when your muscle fibers fix themselves, to make you stronger or more toned.

And like they said before, too much protein may end up hurting you in the end.
  5. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    SMASH is right, spread that protein out over the day.

Muscle is over eighty percent water, so try drinking more water.

It's like playing bass - the harder you look for results, the less you focus on the method of getting there, and the more likely you are to ultimately get discouraged.
  6. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    That protien powder, especially whey, tastes like doo-doo. So do a lot of the protien bars.

Your entire body is about 70% water.
  7. I'm sorry, you are going to have to post your qualification to say this, or at least reference where it is from.

8. Looking at the scale all the time isn't necessarily bad. If you try to correct your weight everyday, it isnt' going to work. If you are looking at trends, then it is pretty useful. When I am gaining or losing, I try not to exceed 0.8 kg/week. This is easiest to see by plotting it in excel or a similar program, so I take my weight everyday that I am in the gym. If I only took it once a week, which I started doing, it takes about 4 weeks to actually see what is going on. Taking it daily I am able to tell in about a week and a half. I wouldn't be so picky, but it is hard to judge the amount of calories I am eating as I do not cook my own food. I have to basically adjust my eating according to my rate of weight gain/loss.

9. The stuff I use tastes amazing!! It tastes just like real chocolate, only without all the fat. That's another reason it's so hard to stop eating it...
  10. Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Taken from

After fat and casein are removed from milk, dairy processors are left with whey protein. Whey is composed of bovine blood proteins. Serum albumen. Lactalbumen. Dead white blood cells. Hormonal residues including estrogen and progesterone.

The body's reaction to a foreign protein is to destroy that antigen-like invader with an antibody. For those individuals unfortunate enough to possess a genetic pre-disposition to such an event, the antibody then turns upon one's own cells. That is what is known as an auto-immune response.

In the case of diabetes and Multiple Sclerosis (MS), the body's response to whey proteins is to attack the outer membrane protecting nerve cells, or the myelin sheath.

It has long been established that early exposure to bovine proteins is a trigger for insulin dependent diabetes mellitus. Researchers have made that same milk consumption connection to MS. The July 30, 1992 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine first reported the diabetes autoimmune response milk connection:

"Patients with insulin dependent diabetes mellitus produce antibodies to cow milk proteins that participate in the development of islet dysfunction... Taken as a whole, our findings suggest that an active response in patients with IDDM (to the bovine protein) is a feature of the auto-immune response."

On December 14, 1996, The Lancet revealed:

"Cow's milk proteins are unique in one respect: in industrialized countries they are the first foreign proteins entering the infant gut, since most formulations for babies are cow milk-based. The first pilot stage of our IDD prevention study found that oral exposure to dairy milk proteins in infancy resulted in both cellular and immune response...this suggests the possible importance of the gut immune system to the pathogenesis of IDD."

Taken from This site has a different viewpoint about whey protein but still warns of its overuse and kidney failure:

Are there any dangers of taking too much protein?

Yes. As with basically anything - too much of a good thing can be bad. If you take too much protein, say you weigh 150 pounds and take 300 grams of protein a day - your body will not be able to process all the protein into amino acids. What your body can not use will have to be excreted as a waste product. This means your kidney and liver will be doing a lot of work just to get the excess protein out of your body. While this will not cause any major problems over a short period of time - you would not want to be overworking your kidney and liver over the course of several years.

Taken from

Let's go over the protein studies for just a minute. Protein is a tough one. Those initial studies on protein restriction, from Italy, were not just done on diabetics; diabetics were in the mix, but so were chronically ill from all other issues. There were people with established, not just early, kidney disease, and researchers found out that by restricting the protein you can make a difference in the pressure of renal disease. We know now that the pressure on the filters, produced by higher protein diet can be decreased by a low protein diet. Just by some decrease in protein consumption, you decrease the work of that filter, and you are protecting your kidneys.

We know the other side pushing that restriction is malnourishment. Protein restriction can help decrease those poisons your kidneys filled up, but if you go into needing dialysis, one thing we discovered is not to go in malnourished. There are a lot of controversies about protein restriction, but common sense is not to protein overload on a regular basis.
  11. True, but to eat actually consume enough protein to be at risk, I would have to be consuming a hell of a lot. One of the articles gave the example of a 150 pound person consuming 300 grams. But it would be stupid and very difficult to consume that much, considering one shake has 20 grams of protein.
  12. 300g of protein is a lot for a 150lb person to ingest. I am not even sure how well the digestive system would handle that. They say that the kidneys have less work to do if you eat less protein. Thus you should not eat a lot of protein. This argument is pretty flawed. Use of most organs causes damage over time. It doesn't meant that you should stop using them. Besides this, it states that they have to work more, but it doesn't say if this is over the threshold that the kidneys can handle, or how long that it would actually take to cause permanent or severe kidney damage.

The other thing I find with a lot of these surveys that you have referenced is that they are performed on people who are already sick. They do admit this in the articles, but it is still construing the point of the article. It is difficult to say if it makes any difference to a healthy person, and it would require testing on healthy people to establish this. I can't help but think about a lot of advertisements for supplements. One claimed a 200% increase in GH release, but if you read carefully, this effect was seen on malnourished males between 55 and 65 years of age.

I agree that some things are worse than others, but milk is obviously not causing an epidemic.

Back on topic. I wouldn't go about consuming an insane amount of protein. Who has heard of someone actually having renal failure from protein consumption? Who has heard of heart disease from fat and sugar consumption? I will take my chances with protein, because it seems that a lot of these studies contradict each other.

13. Go to GNC...and get 100% Whey Protein(in 3 flavors, Chocolate, Vanilla and Strawberry)My husband uses that, along with NO5 and Stacker 2(vitamins) they work great and he is getting results.
    Good luck:)
  14. Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Ok, standoff on that then Geoff:) Although I have one final word; most of my friends work out. Myself included. Out of everybody that I know who works out, many have tried whey protein, and it doesn't help them gain any faster than they normally do. Of course, these results may be a little skewed since most of my friends that work out have insanely fast metabolisms(myself included here again:p) and are hardgainers.

Do you want to gain bulk or strength, Kraig?Strength can be achieved without bulk. When I first started heavily working out at the beginning of school last year, I could barely do a pullup. I was 135 lb's. Now I'm still 135 lb's but I can do pullups, chinups, gained 20 pounds on bench, 30 on triceps, and 10 on biceps. So you can get stronger, without any extra protein, just by working your body. Get a Bruce Lee book or two and a book on Russian strength training secrets; this helped me learn a lot more about how muscles work.