Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Protest or Stupidity?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Apr 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I found this article on Yahoo!
    ------------------------------------------------
    Latest Developments
    AP Photo
    Some Peace Activists Won't Pay Fed Taxes
    (AP) - Thousands of Americans chose not to pay their federal income tax this year as a political statement, many because they don't want their money supporting the U.S. military. It's a form of civil disobedience some peace activists say is especially important this filing season because of the war in Iraq. But the tax man doesn't care what their reasons are. The Internal Revenue Service doesn't treat political protesters differently from Americans who fail to file their tax returns due to neglect or greed. More...

2. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    If that's not a case of hanging a "kick me" sign on your own back, I don't know what is.

Actually, I think the sign says "arrest me, seize all my assets, levy huge fines against me and throw me in jail."

Dopes.

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    What people have to realize is that when they refuse to pay those taxes they are also denying there community the potential services that they need and depend upon. I do not agree with war, I would not fund a war but there is no way to say where my money goes. If there was Id be a happier person. I dont want the guilt of having the money I send away being spent on the bullet that ends an innocent life.

These people know the consequences for their actions and to them it is worth it, obviously. I dont think any one really has the right to tell them they are stupid for it. What they are doing is clearly more important to them than the actions they will be met with for thier protest.

And...their voice is undoubtably being heard, thats probably what they were shooting for, ya think?

4. I guess your voice is better heard when you're in jail or homeless.

I think its stupid, you don't pay your taxes then the Fed'll just come and take your assets. Or you go to jail, or both. And no one's gonna stop and be like "Free people who don't pay their taxes!" yeah right.

5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Stupidity.

It amazes me how easily people take the freedoms and liberties of living in America for granted. PAY UP SLACKERS!!!

6. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    then send...if they get any ...returns my way. I will be happy with that. :D

7. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I don't agree with their point of view, but I don't think it is stupid. They are willing to put their beliefs on the line, rather than just complaining or carrying a sign.

Civil disobedience is an American tradition. Martin Luther King was arrested many times for doing things that were against the law; he knew the consequences and was willing to pay the price for his beliefs. I am NOT saying that these people are morally equivalent to MLK; just that civil disobedience is nothing new.

When it comes to paying up, the money denied the government by these people is a pittance compared to the thousands of Americans who hide income, cheat on their taxes, hide money offshore, or get paid under the table.

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Good point! Consider the fact that while you may not want to fund the military, our tax dollars also fund schools, roads, and the police systems in the US.

I hope these idiots don't plan on using the same roads and school systems that my tax dollars went towards funding!:spit:

All aside and for the record, I am not an advocate for war.

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Stupidity.

Now the IRS has to spend tax dollars on getting those idiots to pay up.... or we will send them to jail, thus wasting more money on them.

Bleh.

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I think the DUMBEST thing you can do is to give the IRS an invitation to screw with you.

11. You make a good point, but I feel as though there is a deliniation between what Martin Luther King did, and what these people are doing.

Technically speaking, everything MLK was doing was legal. After the civil war, the 13th, 14th and 15th amendments were put in place to eliminate discrimination of African-Americans. However, through some loophole, the Southern States managed to get "separate but equal" segregation laws passed (court case Ferguson v. someone..I forget at the moment, sorry). But the facilities and the laws were not "equal" African-Americans were basically second-class citizens which was against the Constitution. So technically MLK demanding equal rights was not necessarily illegal.

On the other hand, every country in the world, for as long as there has been a gov't has had to pay taxes. There's nothing really illegal about it.

At the same time too, Armed forces and civil defense are at the top of the govt's budget priority list. So, even if they collect $100 in taxes, that $100 will go to the military at the expense of social programs. So by not paying their taxes these people aren't harming the military effort, rather they're harming more productive programs which the gov't will cut to reimburse the military spending.

Though I admit they are trying something new and actively trying to make a difference, which is admirable, I think giving Uncle Sam a legimate reason to lock you up is counterproductive.

I agree with your tax fraud statement...most major corps. barely pay any taxes.

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Also, to add to the MLK point. It was illegal to boycott businesses in Alabama at that time. After they got that law rescinded, MLK and the gang were able to do the things they did.

13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Stupidity. Everyone has things for which they don't wish the government to use their money.

14. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Sorry Woodchuck, this is political. Perhaps you could open this thread in the lounge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.