Prototype Peavey Grind

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Landsharks, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Landsharks

Landsharks

Jul 24, 2009
    Oxford, MS
    I purchased this from a pawn shop in Meridian, MS last week. I got it for $75 and the guys in the store said it didn't work, but that's ok. I had seen this bass at this pawn shop a good 4-5 years ago and they wanted $175 for it. So I bought it and took it to see Steve at the Peavey service department since I was in town for him to see if he could get it working. Steve asked around and says it is definitely made in the USA and more than likely a prototype.

If he can't get the electronics to work, he suggested putting a Cirrus pre in there. My problem with that is he would have to drill another hole to accommodate the Cirrus pre and I want to keep the bass as is with the holes. Can anyone suggest a 2 or 3 band preamp with 4 knobs that has an active/passive switch that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Thanks 20180108_151801.jpg 20180108_151519.jpg

Tom McClintock likes this.
  2. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    from the look of things, this one was intended to house two stacked pots?
    the one on the bottom left looks like a single pot where the routing was meant for a stacked one plus the one where the top is missing.
    You could get a push/pull one for active/passive, one for PU blend and have potential for four more.

3. It's the standard USA Grind 4, only sold for 2-3 years. The 5 string was a JJ, this one's mine.
    Grind USA.jpg
    Controls are volume nearest the P pickup, Blend below the bridge pickup. The passive tone pot is below the blend and is a push/pull to activate the preamp. The dual pot of course is the 2 band EQ.

4. Tom McClintock

Tom McClintock

Jan 18, 2015
    DFW
    none
    The preamp doesn't look potted - it can be repaired. I'd go down that route before putting anything else in there.