Proud dad

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Mike Goodbar, May 6, 2004.

1. Warning: Parental Bragging Ahead

My 9-year-old daughter has been taking Suzuki violin lessons for a few years and is in the 4th-5th grade orchestra at school. Suzuki, for all its benefits, does not emphasize note-reading at first, so although she's been playing longer than most of her classmates, she's been lagging behind in this area.

The other night, we were practicing a piece for her orchestra because she had become frustrated with it during school practice. She was playing the 1st violin part and I was sawing away on the 2nd.

At one point she stopped and said, "Sorry, Dad, I missed the dotted quarter. Let's take it at the pickup to the fourth measure after letter B," and she casually counted it off. It took me a few beats to realize that we had for probably the first time a real "peer-to-peer" rather than "teacher-to-student" or "father-to-daughter" musical moment, and I almost started bawling with pride. By her grin, I knew that she knew she'd just about floored me.

I'm going to have her transcribe some Coltrane solos for next week!
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    It won't be long before she starts busting your chops for missing dynamic markings.
  4. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Time for Ellington and Rollins. She could be sitting in at gigs before the summer's end!
  5. Congrats! It IS a good feeling... I know. My daughter is becoming quite the musician herself.
  6. FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    My 15 year old daughter smokes me on the French Horn and site reads like a maniac.
  7. Haha alright parents wait till your kid passes you in a while, My mom was first flute and I passed her a while back. Its a great feeling for me but im not quite sure if she liked being worse than a 15 yr old. But also congrats to you because you have realised the best thing ever...playing with your kids and im willing to bet your kids love it.