1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Proud new car owner! :)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Linas, May 22, 2011.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Well, after a 3 year hiatus of car ownership, I finally needed to get a car to commute to work. She is a 1992 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible with standard transmission. Its in great shape, very little rust (rare living in chicago), and the previous owner took meticulous care of it. Going to be a joy driving this car. :hyper:

DSC_3756.

Any ideas for names?

2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Tortuga, spanish for Turtle.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Is that the actual car?

I have wanted one of those ever since I was 14 years old. 25 years later, I still haven't owned one. :(

-Mike

4. such a saab story. :D

:bag:

nice car!

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Nice!

6. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    Score!

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Cars rust? Cool, nonetheless. Congrats.

8. only where snow and salt come in contact with them. i imagine you are safe in NV.

9. I love the fact that you americans love old europeen cars like this saab or old BMW's etc...
    In europe you couldnt give those away if they came with a full tank of gas!
    You live in muscle car country and you drive a 92 Saab! I just dont get it!

(not hating here, jut trying to understand the thinking! Its your car and if you love it its all that matters!)

10. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    yep, that is a picture of the actual car.

I really have no desire to drive a muscle car. Not only is the image of the muscle car something that im not into personally, getting 12 mpg in a V8 is not something i want when chicago has the highest gas prices in the country. While I have no doubt that they are probably fun to drive, my turbo saab is fun to zip around town in and i get 30 mpg to boot. I dunno, muscle cars just arent for me. I'll stick to my scandanavian cars (last 2 cars previous to the saab were volvos). :)

11. :hyper:Grats on your nice looking ride! +100 for driving MT as well:hyper:

You guys get some pretty wicked "Canadian-style" winters being so close to the water. Kind of a wierd choice for all-weather commuter, isn't it?:eyebrow:

12. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Nice. Those cars are great. However, a buddy of mine had one, and while it was a really fun fast car (I think his was the turbo), it was perpetually in the shop in need of repair. His was a 93. I wish you luck. Start learning how to do some of the maintenance yourself. It'll save you a lot of money in the long run.

13. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Ditto. I know several people who have owned Saab's and they have all ended up getting rid. However, maybe they were just unlucky. Car snobs in the uk will look down their nose at a Saab.

For me, the Germans have it nailed and I have not looked beyond Audi for 15 years.

However, horses for courses and all that. Enjoy your wheels...

14. I just got a new car (well new to me) and I know the feeling... it's nice to have working air conditioning, etc. My car was a florida car so it is nice to have something without rust!

15. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    There is a certain exclusivity with cars like these. Not that they are rare or anything,...but you just know that when you go out in your SAAB convertible,...you are not likely to encounter another one.

European and Japanese cars are just better then most American cars IMO, and let's face it,...if you bought a GM product anywhere between 1990 and 2010,...it was probably just a SAAB with a Chevy Badge on it.

16. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    The owner that I bought it from seemed like he took really great care of it and it came with a huge stack of maintenance papers, so I am pretty confident that this car is in as good condition as a 19 year old car can be. As for saving money by DIY, this is something I learned when i owned my old volvos. With internet forums, its just too easy to figure out what is wrong with your car and figure out exactly how to fix it. Just a couple months ago i had to replace the oil cooler, it was a bitch, but i got it done. So far no mechanical issues have reared their heads since i have owned the car (knock on wood).

17. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    LMAO. I'm SOOOOO glad I'm done with my Volvo. That car was a nightmare. Well, I wish you luck my friend. Have fun. That convertible will come in handy on those hot winter days.... Oh wait, you don't live in California. :D

18. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

Sep 2, 2011
    Los Angeles
    My mom has one of those. I think her's is an '89. It's a pain in the butt to recline the seats because it uses a wheel you have to manually spin.

19. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I would love to have a little MGB for nice sunny days.

Unfortunately even full size cars can't get up our driveway so it's trucks for us.