1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Proud owner of a Brand New AMERICAN P BASS!!! (pics added)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bbedwards, Apr 14, 2010.

1. bbedwards

bbedwards

Apr 10, 2010
    Hey guys! I posted the thread the other day looking for advice on whether or not I should go for a used Jazz bass that had the serial filed off. Thanks to advice and info here, I backed out of the deal.

Well I just took the plunge yesterday and got what I had my sights set on in the first place. A BRAND NEW AMERICAN P-BASS!!! WooHOOOOOO!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

I've been trolling the for sale ads here, craigslist and ebay for a couple months looking for the right buy. Even though I wanted to find the best deal possible, I have played guitar for nearly my entire life and I have NEVER bought a guitar without picking it up and playing it first.

So first I went to the local GC, and BARF. They have a nice selection, unfortunately the setups on all of them were ATROCIOUS!

Then I went to the local 'Mom n Pop' Fender dealer (where I should have went in the first place). Not as big a selection, BUT I know the guys there, my bud that works there is a great bassist, and I know they take pride in having every guitar/bass in the shop setup properly and tuned, ready to pull off the wall and rock.

There were 2 Road Worn P's, several different MIM and Squier P's and J's, and the American P. (Bear in mind, all of these impressions I made were on the acoustic tone of the bass, unplugged.)

The American P (sunburst) and the Road Worn in sunburst (also had a fiesta) caught my eye. I REALLY wanted to fall in love with the RW. But as soon as I picked it up, I realized it sounded extremely dull. I wondered if it was the strings...then I picked up the RW in Fiesta. Immediately noticeable difference, sounded a bit livelier, but still wasn't knocking me out-especially for the price. (I was also informed that both RW's and the American P came in the same shipment about 2 months ago, so it WASN'T dead strings). No lie, the natural tone of a Squier 70's Jazz they had KILLED both the RW's in the shop.

Then I picked up the American P.

OH MY GOD.

:bassist:

A revelation. Much like when I found my first Les Paul that was clearly 'THE ONE'. This thing is ALIVE. SO MUCH TONE! That snarling, growling tone we've all heard from a great P-bass. I also noticed it was by far the most lightweight Fender bass in the store, definitely the lightest one I've ever picked up! I haven't weighed it yet but I'd guess around 7.5lbs. This thing is a real winner, and one I know I'll have a hard time EVER getting rid of. To top it all off, I got an amazing deal (yeah I know you got yours cheaper on craigslist, this is a genuine brand new Fender from an authorized dealer w/warranty).

The moral of the story-pick up and play the instrument before you buy it. You'll likely be MUCH happier with your purchase.

I've got some jamming to do with my new baby, I'll post some pics for you later...

2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Grats! But until you post the pics to the rest of TB the bass does not in fact exist except as a figment of your imagination. Sorry!

3. whoa whoa hold up i read that whole novel and no pics:scowl::p:p

4. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    No pics...

But good on ya for buying a real MIA Fender!

5. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Congrats

6. bbedwards

bbedwards

Apr 10, 2010
    :D OK guys to prove it's not just my imagination....
    (excuse the crappy quality pics from the iphone)

Attached Files:

1.jpg
      File size:
      23.8 KB
      Views:
      2.jpg
      File size:
      25.2 KB
      Views:
  7. bbedwards

bbedwards

Apr 10, 2010
    more

Attached Files:

3.jpg
      File size:
      23.2 KB
      Views:
      4.jpg
      File size:
      17.7 KB
      Views:
  8. bbedwards

bbedwards

Apr 10, 2010
    And that's all for now enjoy!

Attached Files:

5.jpg
      File size:
      22.8 KB
      Views:
      6.jpg
      File size:
      18.2 KB
      Views:
  9. FatCity

FatCity

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    Endorsing Artist: Howard's Crispy Fried Chicken Skins
    Congrats on the new P-Bass!

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Wow! A beautiful classic look. Congrats!

I love my 2002...it is very nice.

11. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    Congrats, great looking instrument!

12. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Sweet looking p! Congratulations!!

13. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Really nice bass. Take care of her and she will take car of you.

14. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Nice. Congrats! I'll get one too one day. :)

Free

15. Nice, man. Enjoy it. I got the exact same bass with one more string and it just kills. There is no classier bass than a sunburst/tort/rosewood Fender.

16. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Know what would make that bass look a lot better? My place. Sent it over and I send you some pics!

17. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    Yep. That bass should be rockin' 40 years from now.

18. a 3 color burst P may be cliché . . . I just don't care, that is one sexy bass!! Rock!!

My next bass will most definitely be a 3 color burst P (though maybe w/ a maple neck . . . :D and maybe a warmoth :D:D)

19. jbravo

jbravo

Jun 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Congrats, and enjoy!! :hyper: I love my 98 3color burst P, and some others too!

Steve

20. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Nice new bass! But if the Roadworns were dull compared to the AS, it WAS the strings. Probably more people have been playing the Roadworns in the store and have funked up the strings. The Roadworns I've played have been extremly lively!