Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Proud papa of a new rig!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jon Chewning, Oct 9, 2000.

1. After many months of poring through many reviews and playing through the dozen or so heads that I thought might cut muster, I had pretty much settled on an Eden Navigator powered by a QSC PLX series amp. As far as cabbage, I was gonna go with either Acme's or Epifani's.

Well the opportunity for a good deal arose last week when michaeln posted his Navigator and two Acme B-2's for sale. I figgered I had to jump at this one so I called him up to set up a time I could drop by his place to run the rig with my Toby-5. Since I live outside Sacramento I had to make the drive to San Francisco, about 90 minutes with good traffic. Fortunately the A's or Giant's weren't playing in town that day so traffic was light. (Now the bastards aren't playing at all thanks to some unmentionable teams from NY; that's another story.)

Michael had the rig all set up and ready to play when I got there. Let me first throw kudos out to Michael; he was a consumate gentleman and all-round good guy. If any one has any dealings with him in the future, I recommend him highly.
    The first thing I noticed tonally was the depth on B-string. I've been playing through a Peavey Mark VI head into a Peavey 410TX and EV 1x15 for years and I've not been able to get that kind of tonal oomph that I'd like. But I immediately noticed it through this rig. I was sold after ten minutes. Michael ran the knobs and buttons by me just to give me an idea of the options I have with the Navigator (and there are a lot!) I probably will have to play a few rehearsals and gigs before I can settle on a range of settings.

Michael was also kind enough let me play a few of his lovelies including a Lakland 5 fretless which was sweeeeet.
    In addition I tried out his Epifani 310, which was nice but I didn't have enough time to really run it thoroughly. But we concluded our deal and I walked out with the Navigator and the Acme's. Plus we had a nice chat to boot.

I have a QSC PLX 2402 on it's way from Lord Valve ($799!) which should be here Wed. or Thurs. in time for my gig Friday, but in the meantime I've got it set up to run through my 800W EV Dynacord. I've only been able to play along with CD's at the moment (band rehearsal tomorrow night) but I just have to say that I'M A HAPPY MAN! My bass sounds the richest and sweetest I've ever heard it. I have the bass tone knob set a hair above flat, midrange flat and treble a hair below flat, with the enhance knob set around 1:00. My keyboard player and drummer have been calling and bugging me for details to which I tell 'em, 'Wait til Tuesday night!'

I can't wait, dammit! YEEEEEHAAAAAAAAWWWW!!!!

2. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Hey, sounds like you got a great deal!

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, man, how heavy is that plx amp?

also congrats on the new rig. :D new gear rules!!

4. The PLX series, no matter if it's the 1202 or the 3402 comes in at 21 lbs. at a height of 2 rack spaces. According to the specs the 2402 actually draws less current in typical use than the 1602 (class H 2-step circuitry.

I don't think there's a better deal especially in advent of QSC's recent price drop.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  6. Hey it was a pleasure for me too, Jon! Glad you're diggin' the new rig. Just wait until you hear it speak in anger!

7. Hey thanks again Michael... lemme know the whens and wheres of your next gig in the delta so I can check it out.

Speaking of noisemakers, my cats were hanging out in the garage with me while I was wankin' over my rig when I hit a low D (at considerable volume) and the cats went flyin' through the cat door with their tails poofed out. I was bustin' up!

Actually my dream is to now annoy my neighbor who drives a '72 Camaro with glass packs. I'll teach him to mess with me! heh heh

8. Gotta teach 'em those ain't new scratchin' posts!!

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hey congrats to both of you. I was droolin' over that Navigator, especially at that price, but I live at the other end of the state.

Hey michaeln ... I didn't know your Lak was a fretless. I'm all atwitter, since I just ordered a new 55-94 Deluxe fretless, due at the end of the year. Is yours a 55-94? I have that Pedulla T-bolt 5 fretless (just gigged with it again last night), and I can't imagine a fretless sounding any better. Does the Lakland get that great mid-growl-mwah sound? I'm really looking forward to having more control over the mid freqs ... the Pedulla has Bartolini TBT electronics (no mid pot) and just a mid boost switch. Still sounds great though. I'm trying to think of a way I can weasel my way out of selling it.

The Lakland I ordered is going to be teal over quilt with no burst, gold hardware. Ebony board with lines, Bartolinis. I ordered it with fairly light (40 - 102 + 128) flatwounds from Dan. I have Thomastik Jazz flats on the Ped, and I love 'em. Hope Dan's GHS or whatever they are are up to the task.

Again, my playing may suck, but now I'm going to look even better when I do it.

10. My Lakland (yes, it's a 55/94 Deluxe) was originally a fretted one with flamed maple top, tobacco sunburst, and birdseye maple fingerboard.

After I got my Sadowsky PJ5 I found I really wasn't playing the Lakland much, and at the same time I had the itch for a fretless. So, I discussed it with Dan Lakin, and we came up with a deal where I'd send the bass to him, he swapped the neck for an ebony lined fretless, and kept my flawless quality maple fretted neck to put on one of the basses they use for trade shows. He only charged me $200, which I thought was a helluva deal (including a new set of Lakland strings).

Yep, it's got the midrange mwah/growl... it took me some time to get the relief and the action set so that it's pretty even throughout the fingerboard, but it's got it now. I can pretty much adjust how much it has by my attack and how I set the pickup balance and EQ. The way it seems to have the most is with the bridge side of the bridge pickup selected, the midrange bumped up a bit, and the pickup balance biased toward the bridge pickup... the farther I turn the balance, the more growl it has. The mwah is more sensitive to the attack.

I currently have Gore Elixir nickel roundwounds on it, and I like them a lot. No sign of fingerboard wear yet, but I really don't play it that much. I play the Sadowsky 95% of the time still.

I tried the Lakland Joe Osborn flats on it too, and I liked them but decided I wanted to give the Elixirs a try, and I've been happy enough with those to not switch back. The Lakland flats have a real nice feel, very very smoooooooth, but with a much more traditional flatwound sound than the TI Jazz Flats.

And you can forget those TI Jazz Flats for that bass, there aren't any that fit it.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Figured as much on the Thoms ... I like the feel of them though. Dan says his flats are "almost" as slinky as the Thoms. I just don't want a set of #3 re-bars on it like the ones on my P-bass (Fender something-or-others, soon to be replaced with some Boomers, I think). The Thoms are a little rougher to the touch, but it's fine with me.

12. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Not only have you had a GAS day you've had a first rate, top drawer GAS day. Very nice choice.By the way, on Friday test your drummer. When he says that the new rig sounds great tell him that you didn't get a new rig and that its the same equipment you had before. There's a 50/50 chance
    he'll believe you.

13. My drummer is the one that's been raving about Eden stuff for the last year. Apparently he played with a basser who had a WT-800 that, as he put it, 'snapped my head around'. So when I told him that the Navigator was first in the running, he was jumping up and down gesturing wildly. Then when I actually got it, the first thing he does is replaced all the Peavey logos on our promo flyer with Eden ones. So I get the impression he's just a *little* excited.

On another tangent here, and maybe you can pitch in here michaeln, I'm trying to figger out the tone control section of this thing. I guess the confusion stems from the relation of the shelving controls with the bandwidth settings. Part of the problem is a section of the manual that discusses the semi-parametric tone controls. Lemme quote:

Quasi parametric controls are similar to fully parametric controls with the exception that they do not have an adjustable bandwidth control. That adjustment is fixed by design. All the filters are adjustable by +/- 15 dB.

So is bandwidth adjustable or not? If you notice here, the top 3 red knobs are the bandwidth controls. So I can't reconcile what the manual says to what's actually on the front panel. Maybe someone could give a little synopsis of shelving theory?

14. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    Your pre-amp does NOT have adjustable bandwidth.
    Your confusing bandwidth with frequency.
    Yours is a semi-parametric. You only have control of boost/cut and the frequency center.

A fully parametric has boost/cut, frequency center AND bandwidth.

I will try to explain bandwidth the best I can.
    When you boost a frequency you are not JUST boosting the selected frequency. You are also effecting ajacent frequencies. Bandwidth basically allows you to control how much of the ajacent frequencies get added. Broad band would be more smooth and musical and narrow would be more focused on the selected frequency. Sorry if thats confusing. Its really quite simple. You dont need to worry because your
    bandwidth is set.

15. Ok, say I set the low frequency to 165 hz, does that mean the bass tone control is cutting or adding db's at and below that frequency? How does the shelving control fit in?

16. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    The bass control to the left has nothing to do with the semi parametric section. Thats a set freqency that you have no control over. Im guessing its about 40-60 hz

See where it says low, mid, high?
    Try and think of each pair of knobs as a section.
    The top knob controls the the frequency.
    The bottom knob controls the amount of boost or cut (Dbs)of the frequency you selected(top knob).
    So on the first section (low) select a freqency(top knob).
    Now turn the bottom knob clockwise past 12 oclock.
    You are now boosting that frequency. If you turn it counter clockwise(before 12 oclock) you will be CUTTING that frequency. If you leave it in the middle it is FLAT. NO cut or boost.

Hope that helps

17. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Jon,

The bandwidth is not adjustable. The bass and treble controls are active shelving type, which cover a broad general range. These probably overlap with the parametric controls - I'm not sure.

The low, mid and high controls each can be set to specific frequencies (top knob), which can then be cut or boosted by up to 15 dB (bottom knob). If the bottom knob is at "0", no eq is taking place at that band, no matter where the top knob is set

On a FULLY parametric, you can also adjust the bandwidth, or "Q". In other words, you could zoom in on 250 Hz for example, or scoop out lots of mids centered around any given frequency.

What YOU still have is a very flexible 5 band eq. Plus you have a bright switch, right?

Michael N and others: Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.

Bob

PS: Just as I was about to post this, I noticed the jello beat me to the answer. So maybe if you're clear on this, I'll delete my post. If not, keep asking.

18. Jello,

The bass control on the left and the treble control on the right are shelving type filters that'll cut or boost +/- 15dB @ 30 hz and cut or boost +/- 15 db on the treble respectively, according to the manual.

I think I've got a grasp on the tone section (six knobs in the middle) Once those are set, what would the shelving filters do? Practically, when it's set above or below flat on either one, the bass/treble gets louder or softer, but it seems there must be more to it than that.

Bob C,
    Yeah it has something called an enhance control which boosts low bass and upper-mids and highs while cutting low-mids. The manuals says it's a quick way to get a 'quality modern bass tone'. And it can be blended with the other tone controls.

Thanks guys....

19. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000

The shelving control is basically the same as the parametric.
    The only difference is that you have no control of what frequency is selected. Its pre-set.

I wouldnt even mess with the parametric unless you know what your trying to accomplish. This takes awhile.
    I have an aguilar pre-amp and that has a fully parametric eq. I dont mess with it much though. Just a little broadband boost around 250 hz to add some growl.

Depending on your bass, you can probably get a good tone by just boosting the bass control a little.
    Lots of factors so I really cant say.

20. Sorry, I missed most of this discussion. But Jon, these guys have given you correct info. Gimme a call (you still have my number?) and I'll go over the stuff with you.

LIVE TECH SUPPORT!!

(That's what I do for a living ;-))