Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Proudest gig moment, for real

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Dave Siff, Apr 20, 2001.

1. Too bad bassvirtuoso13 started the original thread, because it's a good topic. How about us more 'mature' types share a few?
    My proudest 'gig moment' didn't come at a gig, and it wasn't on bass guitar, either! It was at my wedding. The band that played the reception is a great 50s-style rockabilly band, been doin' their thing in Atlanta and regionally for about 10 years. I used to work with the frontman's wife. Anyway, between sets, he came up to me at the bar and said, "You gotta come up and do a song with us." And I said, "Man, I'd love to, but I can't play upright." He told me not to worry, we'd do something simple. So, he called me up onstage and we did "Blue Suede Shoes." I'm just playing the simplest of walking lines and trying to play somewhat in tune, as we come to the end of one of the choruses and all of a sudden I hear the frontman say, "Let's hear the bass player!" I had about 2 seconds to react. I just started walking it, and eventually moved up the fingerboard. With great trepidation, I ended my solo with a run down from the octave G on the G string, back to A to start the verse again. (And it was in tune, too.. I watched it on the wedding video!) The whole crowd of people burst into wild applause. My parents and most of my relatives had never seen me play before, much less on upright. It was pretty cool.

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    can i see the video? :D you should stream it so we can see you in your proudest moment! that would be great!

BTW: what happened to Bass Virtuoso? did I miss something?

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i had two proudest gig moments - one was the first time i played at a bar when i was at GA tech and they actually had to turn people away - the band made a coupla hundred bucks _a piece_ off of a 2 dollar cover charge. that rocked.

the second was when we played at the wreck room, a little dink dive that thankfully got wrecked for the olympics, and everyone left (we weren't quite as heavy as the other bands, and plus nobody really supports anybody else but their own band in atlanta generally, ime) - everyone but these two guys that were in a band after us, the drummer and bass player. they just sat there and watched us from right in front of the stage.

afterwards, the bass player asked me for my autograph. boy, that was really cool, especially since the rest of the club was cleared out. :D

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    JT: is it true that you are giving one of your basses for the next TB Giveaway?
    dude, that´s the only way i could get a 7 stringer...

Just kidding... but it would be great! :)

BTW: i want your autograph too

5. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    proudest gig moment ? hMmMMmMm ..
    backflipping off my stack (bass and all, christ my Squier is heavy) at the battle of the bands last year JUST as we ended the song on a resounding "G" .. the girlies went nuts, much to the irritation of me girlfriend :D

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :D cool, here...

jom trnr. (i have sloppy handwriting) :D

7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    nahhh!! i wanted an autographed photo with one of your Conklins sent by mail... :(

but i guess if you do that then lots of people here will ask you the same :eek: :D

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    My proudest gig moment was when my band played at local club a few years ago. After the show, I was in the men's room, and some guy comes up to me and says,"dude you guys rocked! I don't know what the hell that was but I liked it!" It was a great compliment, and the timing and place of delivery were so odd that it stands out in my mind.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Hey! I've got an idea.

John, if you have an 8x10 of yourself with one(or all!:eek: ) of your basses, autograph it, scan it(surely you have a scanner, you have everything else;)) and post it in this thread!

Then anybody who wants an autographed photo of you(like me!:D) can print it out on their color printer.

Cheap and easy. And just another way to spread your fame amongst the masses!:D

10. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    My "proudest gig moment" is a recurring thing...every time my blues rock trio gigs and someone comes up and says "I can't believe there's only 3 of you guys generating all that sound....all right, 'fess up...where's that tape player?". I get pretty damn proud when a club owner calls us based on having heard about us...without us having initiated it.

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i need to get a glossy pic of me with my basses to use so for gear promo :D. only lately, it would have to be a 10x12. i need to lose some weight. :D

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Don't feel bad. I resemble thast remark!!!:p

13. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    i thought drummers are the ones that are s'posed to get flabby 'round the mid-section ? ;)

14. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Don't know if I'd call it my proudest moment, but my most incredible moment playing came at a open Blues Jam run by a guitar shop in Raleigh. The owner, Stuart Carter, and his repair guy, Mark Kane, are two of the most amazing Blues-Rock guitarists you've ever heard.

Anyway they were running this jam at the club nextdoor to their shop about every other month. I had dropped by a few times and sat in with different players. But THIS night Mark and Stu asked me to play with them -- we did a couple tunes, but one in particular stood out -- Robin Trower's "Bridge of Sighs."

It was like touching God.

15. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    One of my proudest moments was also not on bass. It was my first weekend at college, and there was a huge pre-classes party out in the streets in Campustown. I hung out for hours but didn't meet anyone or make any friends. So I want back to my dorm and found a room downstairs with a piano in it. I started playing some really lowdown minor blues -- no form, just chords as I thought of 'em -- and a few kids stopped in to see what was going on. I played and they listened for a while.

Finally, I found and ending, and finished. I looked up at these two guys, and I said, "Man, I feel better."

And one of 'em says, "Yeah, but now I feel TERRIBLE!"

16. I don't know if I have a proudest moment, but one does come to mind:

I was playing my regular gig a few months back (myself and an acoustic guitarist handling main vocals) and he breaks into I Will Survive. Midway through the song, the battery dies on his guitar, leaving him soundless.

He looks at me to see if we'll stop or not, but before I can nod to stop, he leans to the mike and announces a bass solo.

So off I go. Mostly noodling about, faking a lot of stuff. I am watching him out of the corner of my eye. Darned fool forgot an extra battery. He puts his bass down and runs out of the bar, to the store two doors down.

And I'm still playing. The audience starts clapping in time with what I'm playing, there's whistling and wolf-calls, it was amazing.

A couple of minutes later, the guitarist runs back in, plugs a new battery into his guitar, then breaks back into the song as if it was all part of the show.

I got a standing ovation when we ended the song. It was a pretty proud moment, I guess. Especially since its the one song I HATE playing on my fretless.

FF

17. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    When I sang lead on some Tom Petty and even made a bass solo when the guitar player started playing chords. Afterwards this beautiful chick came up to me and kissed me and all that good stuff. Then I told her who my bass idol in town was and she told me I was better than him. Which is a lie. He's been playing about 20 years longer.

18. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    admit it, JWC. you just wanted to tell everyone some gorgeous young female came and kissed you :p

19. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Yeah man, your right Tones. Well now, I can tell the rest of this fairy tale romance. We went up the local Motel 6 and got us a room. Now, it was about 25 degrees outside and the damn woman gave us the wrong key. So after finally getting the right key and freezing our asses off, we got into our dirty, cold room. Well, no time wasted. This woman, my senior 11 years, tore me up like no other. I then passed out drunk on the bed and woke up with her wiping blood off her nose. I told her, "you need to stay away from that booger sugar". She told me to shut the hell up and that she just had a nose bleed naturally. Then I told her I must have knocked something loose up there. We never spoke again after that weekend. But I seriously think I fell in love.

20. Bean

Bean

May 4, 2001
    Kentucky
    My proudest gig moment came at our band's annual dance this year. We were playing "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy," and the arrangement we have to play is *awful*. I don't like anything about it. It's butt-hard, sounds ugly, it's too long, so on, so on.

Anyway, the band director's g***** playing son was sitting in with us, and he was just sort of strumming along while I struggled to choke out something that sounds like a bass line. We hit the solo loop, and I botched it instantly, so I just played the chord roots instead of what was written. The g***** player took a solo, and he was just *amazing*. So I helped him out by improvising. I got to doing some pretty fancy stuff there after a while. The communication between me, him, and the drummer, was excellent, too. It was a ton of fun.

When we were done, I went up to him and insisted on shaking his hand. "You were great!" I cheered.

"You're a really solid bass player!" he said. I felt good all night.