Proudest woodwork creation?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kirbywrx, May 18, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I just finsihed making a pretty damn ordinary foot stool in woodwork, and im starting a clock. Ive made a few things in shop (woodwork)which are kinda cool, and ill put some pictures up when i get the 'cam.

Any other wood turners/carpenters out there? If so whats your proudest creation? Pics people..:D
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Do speaker cabs count?
  3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Why not

Here are my creations.

1- A cupboard i made for mum. It has 2 drawers, and i really have no use for it at this point in time.
    2- The footstool i just finshed. Pretty ordinary, it actually hurts your feet after a while :rolleyes:
    3- A box with an orange "bass" and the Metallica "M" cut out with plastic and glued on. The joins look the best :cool: I forget what the joins are called, but each opposing part is stained black and looks cool.
    4- The Flame Frame, pretty self explanitory
    5- pencil holder, the first thing i made in year 7.
    6- My beloved guitar. I made a guitar, with 4 strings, so therefor its a bit like a ukelele (sp?) I still have to finish it off and such, and im going to deck her right out with electric guitar strings..
    7- a tool box with a fancy lathed handle.

Thats mine, so what about yours? :D[​IMG]
  4. :D :cool: This:

And here's proof:
  5. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I made a train at gcse and got an A at the end of the course :)

The cheap thing is that I made only 2 peices of STRAIGHT track :p

I once built a 4 man 6 foot go kart with some freinds, but the wheel snapped after a few hours of use.
  6. I made my 11 course renaissance lute from a kit. It has a cherry wood bowl and neck, ebony fretboard, and one of the nicest AAA spruce tops that one can buy.
  7. i made a chest, called a hope chest, for my god daughter. i love to work with wood. i love the smell of it, the texture. love to build things. just wish i had all the tools and the time to do so. :D
  8. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Probably the two best things I have built is a Chessboard for my grandfather who is a big chess fan, and I also built a lockbox for my self. I was proud of both of them, as I thought they were good for only one year of woodshop.
  9. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I made a really nice rack system out of black walnut to hold pool cues at my parents' house.

My dad has a shed full of some of the nicest black walnut I've ever seen. I'm thinking about building a bass body out of it.
  10. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    The best thing I made in HS shop class was a fishing rod rack that I use to this day (sorry no pics) it stands on the floor and stores/displays six rods and reals...the funny part is I never took wood shop - I took metal shop, but after the second year of not making anything at all :rolleyes: I went next door to the wood shop and made something.
    My high school's metal shop class was just a holding pen for under achieving losers and future felons - everybody in the class either a) stayed in the classroom to work on homework from another class and didn't even set foot in the shop b)went in to the shop to socialize and chew tobacco and spit on the floor c)went out behind the shop to smoke cigerettes d)Went in to an arc welding booth, pulled the curtain and turned on the fan and smoked pot e)got marked down on the role sheet as present, then disappeared. If you didn't hurt any of the other students you'd pass. If you didn't hurt anybody, including yourself you'd get a C. If you didn't hurt anybody and didn't didn't get caught doing anything illegal you'd get a B and if you didn't hurt anybody, didn't get caught doing anything illegal, and you actually made something - you'd get an A. I got D's:(
  11. Does rebuilding a house count? renovating my moms house was probably the most satisfying thing i have done in life to date, and i did it all by myself. Other than that i have built:
    1)Butcher block counter top consisting of 1 1/2" maple strips for a kitchen center island.

2)night stand out of poplar which i ended up painting white since it had a lot of green in the wood and it looked nasty with poly on it.

3)Dinner plate turned on a lathe made out of honduras mahogany with a maple base.

4) 2 12" tall maple candle stick holders turned on a lathe to compliment the mahogany plate.

5) pine work bench with a 3/4" MDF top. and pegboard back.

I love working with wood.
  12. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Because you'de be surprised how much you can hide but covering it in carpet. Some of my early creations were shocking from a carpentry point of view but looked fine when covered. I've improved............

Your work looks quite good. And Joris, those cabs look absolutely beautiful. Knowing you, they probably sound great as well.

I've just moved house so my pics are burried in a box somewhere. I'll post em once I find em (shockers included).
  13. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I am a carpenter so I have done lots of things like that
    I have made a set of kitchen cabinets, turned a 2 bedroom one bath cabin into a 7 bedroom 3 bath house. Lots of stuff like that. After 10 years in the trade I don't find it fun like you guys though.