1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pround New Owner of L5000. My first G&L

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by AcousticBassMan, Mar 18, 2009.

1. I am a very happy new owner of a 1988-1989 L5000 and love the tone, the narrow neck and the strong pickup. There is so much to learn about G&L that I don't know where to start other than to say HOWDY to everyone.

Is there any advice on how to keep the anodized metal pickguard protected while playing actively? I would like to keep it in excellent condition, but want to be able to play without worries.

All the Best,

Dan:bassist:

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hey there,
    Did you get that one off Craigslist here in OR? I was exchanging a few emails with that seller, and ended up buying a different bass, but the L5000 was definitely on my mind! I look forward to hearing what you think of it. Also, how much does it weigh?
    Enjoy it!

3. Hi,

I haven't weighed it yet. Just put on Strap Locks to save the clumsiness of being 55 years old. Don't want to drop this beauty! I absolutely LOVE the tone that this produces through my Traynor and Ampeg system.

:bassist:Hey, are you the guy who rates compressors? If so, I owe my purchase of my Ashly SC-50 to you. THANKS! Well done!

I am still a beginner, as far as skill, but am having a great time.

Do you live in Portland? I am actually in Forest Grove.

Til later,

Dan:bassist:

4. Actually, I did buy it in Hillsboro. Nice young man who knows a lot about basses for still being in HS.

I think I have found my one-and-only passive bass. Simplicity and powerful tone.

Would you like to come over some time and play it?

AcousticBassMan

5. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    The biggest peeve folks have is the narrow spacing. To me it is more comfortable than my L-2500.

Jim

6. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Looks like you're trying to unload it for $1995, seems a wee bit over priced LOL.

7. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Yeah I am curious about that. ABM here doesn't sound like he wants to get rid of the bass, he sounds like it's his favorite new thing and he's happy with it. But somebody supposedly in Forest Grove has listed the L5000 with some fancy ad copy and $1995, and the guy in Hillsboro has posted that it's a "scam" because he just sold it for $575 and it had a warp in the neck.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Anyway though Dan, I'm certainly not accusing you of anything, because like I said your posts here make it sound like this is a bass you're very happy to keep and play, so you're probably not the guy with the fishy CL ad. And I'm glad the compressor advice worked out for you, the SC-50 is one of my vintage faves.

The CL business sure does look odd though!

8. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
  9. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    That same one on the Portland CL is on the guitarsbyleo.com classifieds...

10. Mick Markey

Mick Markey

Jan 21, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Not much else to peeve about on these basses. Simply awesome, and super cool, to boot.

The narrow spacing for me is a blessing, for the most part.

Looks like the ad photos are from Brad Traweek, and GG Jaguar. That Bahama blue is ultra rare, and I sure do dig it, but I thought the one mentioned here was black ? They are much more commonly seen in black.

11. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Yep, the one in the original (legit) CL post is black.

12. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Can we see a Photo?

13. Well, I did not intend to cause any consternation about my posting the L-5000 on CL. I was wrong to have copied the photos from the other basses. I am sorry. I did not know that it was inappropriate. I stand corrected and will take some new photos for posting on CL and maybe here, too, if I can figure out how to.

Correction One: Perhaps it was foolish of me to post this bass on CL for such a high price, but I received some advice from an owner who seemed to know what he was talking about that they are selling from between $1,000 and $3,000, depending on condition, so I posted it for sale at $1,995 as a starting point. But I am not really that interested in selling it; it's a beauty! Still, if someone wants it enough to pay such a high price, I would happily sell.

Correction Two: As I was driving from Portland to Hood River this afternoon, on a business trip, admiring my new best friend on the passenger seat beside me, I noticed that it looked more like the Bahama Blue color, not black. There was noticeable contrast between the bass and the black Crinkle aluminum pickguard. Therefore, when I take the detail photos, perhaps I can get a group opinion as to the color. But I do not know how to tell what wood the body was made of. Is it marked anywhere?

Correction Three: I did, indeed, notice an obvious wow in the neck towards the right, while considering buying it, and did not know how hard it would be to repair it. I was imagining it might take a luthier weeks working with steam and pressure to move it back to the correct shape. Gladly, as I checked with my local luthier, he said that I could actually make the adjustment myself by loosening the neck bolts, pressing the neck to the side while tightening the bolts. I did this and it is great now.

So, with this confession, I hope that I have cleared the air and wish to get acquainted with others who have learned to appreciate this unique instrument. I am in my mid-50's, but am still acting like an adolescent on occasion.

AcousticBassMan

14. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Pics? It doesn't exist without pics.

15. Yes, I will be taking photos as soon as I am back home where my camera is. They will probably be on the site by Monday afternoon.

Question. How do I post photos on this site?

Thanks for any help.

16. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I opened a photobucket.com account and then I can copy/paste the picture code right to my TB thread - no need to upload photos to TB.

17. Thanks for the help with Photobucket. I have already opened an account there and will post some photos when I get back home. By the way, I also own Traynor equipment. YBA200 and 1510 matching cab.

What Traynor equipment do you play?

18. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I'm purchasing a Yorkville BM400 115 combo this next week. I used to have a Yorkville XS400T 210 combo.

19. I have just uploaded a set of photos I gook today onto Photobucket. Since this is the first time I have done this, I hope it works.

http://photobucket.com/AcousticBassMan

I am still puzzled whether this is black or Bermuda Blue.

What do you think?

Thanks for your help.

20. Mick Markey

Mick Markey

Jan 21, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Most definitely black on this one.

The Bahama is subtle, but recognizably blue.

Does this have the sickle headstock or the modern headstock ?