Proven AMP Recomendations:

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wadmutter, Jan 28, 2001.

1. wadmutter

Jan 27, 2001
    Howdy fellow bassist. I have some thoughts on this Subject that I'd like to share with anyone that cares to read about it...

I ve been playing in bands and giging in clubs for about 3 years now, before that, I was in projects and other extra caricular stuff...

After the years playing and the experiance I have gained from it, I can say that I have never been overly enthused about the amp I was using... The Problem was, Id fall into the same trap everytime, When I was ready to buy something, I did not have enough money for what I wanted, and what the store had in stock and in my price range was usually a 350 watt 15" combo. I HAVE OWNED 4 OF THE STUPID THINGS. They are BIG, HEAVY, hard to fit in the trunk and usually dent or scratch someting in the process. My worst EVER was the Fender BXR300, GOD HELP ME, IT WEIGHED 150 LBS. At first they sound good and their loud, but you take them to a gig and you get lost! theres no defination, A muddy low end, and all the while the pretty girls are laughing at you and talking to the drummer!

So after realizing that I shouldnt order another combo amp I started shoping Ebay. What was i looking for? A name brand head with a enough power to clearly define what I needed, Warm Mids and that knoby sound with a little punch in the keister, If yuo know what I mean...

So this thinking persuaded me to buy a SWR Workingmans 350. Again, I could afford it, not quite enough Juice but I thought I was making the right Decision based on the brand and their marketing campains. BTW/ Every Amp I have Bought has failed me and needed to be serviced at least TWICE. Last night, after the SWR gave up on me during a practice session, in a move of utter desperation, I grabed an Extra Mackie 1400I and an old CR-1202 mixer that our band has for back up monitors. I brought it to the Gig, Bridged the amp and ran directly into the board and then out to my Old Hartke 15" cabinet with One 5" Tweeter cone. Doing this created a little wet spot in me trousers. Finally I had the POWER to control A 15 inch Cone at a club, Something that sounded muddy and non defined before was now responding to my intimate fingerings like a Vegas Whore on superbowl weekend... Hence, I'm in love.

What do I want you to take from this Story?
    Detrmine the Extent of your commitment to your gear
    before purchasing it, If you depend on it, and you need the perfomance from it, You'll only have to only pay for it once if you buy the right thing. remember that i paid for it Over and over again by buying the wrong thing. Then Paid to have it Fixed.

So My commitment now is to A seperate AMP that is very powerful, and a good seperate Per amp to shape the tone. Again this is for my performace rig, At home, a little Combo amp is enough let me Play along to Geddy Lees riffs and work on Drills, ON the road, I will Make no sacrafices ever again.

This also means that I have 3 amps for sale if anyon eis interested. Two need repair. they are:
    1. SWR Working mans 350, unit only Buzzes, no real power from the amplifer. $290 plus 25 dollars shipping.
    2. A Hartke 3500, Old and works intermitiantley, $200 plus 25 dollars shipping.
    3. Fender BXR 300 combo Unit. Works fine 350.00 Plus 50 Shipping. It is heavy you know.

Let me know if your interested.

Huevous De Mayo!
  2. theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    Hey you bring up a good point.

Spend more money now on a powerful amp that you will keep
    and be happy with.
    The alternative is buying new amps all the time.
    Gets expensive very fast.

you can never have to much clean power!

3. nekro

Jan 23, 2001
    Damn Straight!! :)

Just yesterday I purchased a Trace Elliot 300W Amp with a seperate 4X10 Box. I have only been plaing all up for 2.5 years but having a mint AMP just makes your bass sund amazing (considering I was running through a 15W Fender Practice AMP [YUCK!!!!]).

See my other post re the effects loop.

But yea.. this AMP has set me back $3500 New Zealand, but oh my god was it worth it. It may hurt the pocket to start with but it will be a good move in the long run.

My 2 cents worth! :)
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    (Note from the moderator: You want to sell gear, you do so in "Bass Guitars and Accessories: For Sale".)
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I dicked around with low powered combo amps for many years. then one night I sat in on a rig consisting on an SVT head driving a 15" Altec in an old B15 cabinet. I suddenly realized what high powered amps were for after years of wondering why my sound was so bad.

I also agree that buying the right thing is more important than buying what you can afford, especially if you do gigs. Within two months after my SVT experience, I got some good paying wedding gigs which financed a 400 watt A.M.P. head and an EAW cab with a 15" EV (I still use this rig twelve years later).