1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Provide a harmonic analysis of Friesen's Zebra?

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by Tom Lane, May 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Here is my "NOT a Harmonic Analysis", but just a pragmatic cheat sheet that I think might be helpful to the discussion (or lack thereof!)

In m.1-2, the chord, as named, Cmin/maj7/#5, sounds very Diminished to me. I've written a possible voicing on the sketch below. I'm not sure if the composer meant for a "Diminished" sound there, but on the recording, it seems that the performers are tending toward Diminished sounds.

In m.3-4, I hear another Diminished sound there - I'm not sure why the composer chose to write "E7b9/G#", as there is a lot of root movement in the bassline to "B" (diminished) sound there, esp. during the piano solo. (Yes, E7b9/G# is a very "G# diminished" sound, with "B diminished" sharing Melodic DNA - same collection of notes/just starting on a different note for us "Chord/Scale" folks.)

In m. 8, Dbmaj7#5, I've written a possible voicing shortcut/nomenclature that can be helpful in suggesting that chord-type - simply play an Fmaj triad with a Db in the bass. I've indicated this shorthand for all subsequent "Xmaj7#5" chords. Some refer to this as a "3 over 1" voicing, as it is a major triad starting on the major third, "3", with the "1" (root) in the bass.)

The Xmaj7b5 chords I've renamed "Xmaj7 #11" as my ears and eyes like to associate the #11 in a Major (or Dominant) chord. I reserve the "b5" for Minor chords. (YMMV).
    I've provided a 3 note voicing for the Gmaj7#11 chord in m.33-34, as a suggested structure that can be transposed for other chords.

Finally, truth be told, if I had to perform this tune, I would rewrite some chord symbols in my preferred nomenclature, esp. m.1-4, AND spend a s**t ton of time at the piano to get comfortable with the harmonic movement(s) that are a bit nebulous, (in terms of Key areas, etc.)
    Thanks.
    IMG_3362.JPG

Tom Lane likes this.
  2. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

OT - the guitarist on the recording is Larry Koonse, from Los Angeles, and is one of the most beautiful, unique and cliche-free musicians on the planet.
    Thanks.

Tom Lane likes this.
  3. hhalt

hhalt Hans Halt

Nov 26, 2010
    Reno, Nv
    I agree that the first chord is diminished because you can raise any notes in the chord to create tension - F# raised to G# and A to B. Labeling it as he did is actually a clear way to get the sound he was after. Interesting that on the solo, the pianist was using maj/min 7th, not diminished. This makes the second chord sound like a G7b9 to my ears. i-V7b9.

Don Kasper likes this.
  4. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Thanks so much Don. Let me give this a few days serious consideration... some how my ear tells me the recording works, but the chart may be different.

Don Kasper likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021