1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Proximity feedback on Shuttle 6.2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by abarson, Jun 12, 2019.

1. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Rig: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2 on top of an Acme B2, series 2. All this perched on a wooden barstool so it's close to my ears.
    Bass: Tobias Growler 4, 1st gen.

Problem: If I stand to the side of my rig with my bass strapped as usual, I suddenly get high pitched whine/feedback, rather loud. Bass is at cabinet height. It doesn't happen if I'm positioned between the bass and rig. Not string vibration related.

This is a somewhat manageable problem (i.e. don't stand there) but it constricts my movement at times, and if it's without a stand I can't lean my bass against the cab during a break. I don't understand why it is happening to begin with. Ideas?

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    It's likely that the pickup may be picking up something being radiated by the amp, though that's unusual (first time I have seen this symptom with your amp).

By any chance, are you using a wireless with your bass?

Does the noise change if you tap your amp or your pickup?

wave rider likes this.
  3. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    No wireless, and good quality cables.
    I'll have to try the tap tests this evening.

4. samson3382

samson3382

Apr 26, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    Cell phone nearby?
    I’ve experienced something similar years ago, enough years that it was a flip phone. I had to take it out of my pockets when playing.

I also added some shielding to the electronics cavity, (Ibanez 505, kind of noisy anyway) seemed to help.

5. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I hadn't thought about the cellphone, which is usually in my pocket while playing. I'll investigate that as well.
    Growlers are known for their rats nest of wiring, but there's no skimping on the shielding.

6. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    IME, the modern generations of phones don't exhibit that same effect of generating extraneous RF-based noises in nearby inputs. It used to be a real problem. especially if you left a phone on top of your amp, near the inputs. It only happened when the phone 'rang'. The absolute worst case was putting a phone down on an audio console with a couple of dozen inputs active...after a while, you learned to recognize that sound. But as I say, I haven't had that experience in some years now. I'm inclined to believe @agedhorse's diagnosis.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021