PRS, a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Dec 11, 2003.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    PRS is THE name in guitar nowadays.

Those high priced electric guitars are everywhere.
    Not the same for their bass, which i have never seen in person.

I would love to know your idea about this 'flop'.
  2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    in my opinion they totally suck. I have played one quite a bit and they they sound bad, well to me at least. The craftmanship is nothing short of what youd expect out of PRS. The wood is incredible, the body looks stupid. Def try before you buy.
  3. JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    I played on at my local GC once. Sounded good and was well made!
  4. I have one, and am very happy with it. PRS doesn't make very many of them, it can take a while to get one if you order it. It isn't a "flop", just not common. My PRS is my wife's favorite in my stable, for both tone and looks. These definately will test your fretting hand though, as any finger-squeek will come through. Great tone can be coaxed out of it, even in passive mode. The neck is stable, and IMHO comfortable. Definately a 'modern' bass sound though, so may not suit everyone.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The PRS design, for pretty much the same reasons as the Gibson designs, don't translate well to guitar (bass, I meant bass :oops: ).

There are some guitar manufacturers that "understand" bass, but most don't.
  6. i've only played one once and don't remember being bowled over by the tone (i don't remember it being horrible either) but on looks alone i think the body styling is a bit bland. the woods look incredible but the body style just looks boring.
  7. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    PRS should change their name to POS. Once upon a time these were great guitars. Now they are totally CNC'd and they still charge handmade prices. They are everywhere because they give away buttloads of them to every Nu Metal queer out there.

Oh by the way: Their basses suck ass.
  8. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Would anyone like to post some pics of them, since they are rare and such? And if anyone could post some sound clips that would be cool as well, since there is a mix between they are great and they are crap and not everyone can just go out and find one to test. Just wondering. Thanks
  9. The alder body ones aren't too bad, but they don't compare to the basses PRS made in the 80s. The design is weird as hell but you can coax amazing things out of them.
    For pics, check There's a few floating around there.
  10. I also tried one at Guitar Center last year. I'm pretty sure it was a new one, and I was pretty impressed with it's sound. It had a nice warm tone.
  11. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I was dissapointed in every way with those things.
  12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

Sorry but failing to sell is a sure sign of an usuccessful line, aka "flop".

The basses aren't bad but for the price there are a lot of choices that people seem to prefer over them. The first line of basses wasn't very succssful either... that's why he stopped building them.
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    "Great" and "crap" are in the eye of the beholder. I could easily gig with a PRS bass. I think "crap" is pretty extreme.
  14. PRS has two endorsed players that get guitars, only two. Carlos Santana and Mark Tremonti. Every other PRS player pays for them. Everyone.

Ask Mr. Smith himself.

Also, CNC guitars end up being pretty damned consistant. Lakland does it and so does Sadowsky. Those aren't cheap either.

15. here's Tim Butler of the Psychedelic Furs playing one of the old 3-pickup PRS basses-

(although he's a Zon endorser, and seems to have gone back to P basses recently)

Robbie Shakespeare (Sly & Robbie) plays one too.
  16. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You may have been reading a bit too much Ed Roman--somebody who doesn't know a fraction as much as he thinks he does.

I'm as serious a guitarist as I am a bassist, and to me, PRSs are still great guitars. Some of the things they've done since 1995--e.g., the hollowbodies are IMO among the best guitars they've ever made. I don't give a **** about CNC or non-CNC, all I care about is whether an instrument is a good one. And if you think using CNC means no handwork is involved, you're wrong.

I do think USA PRSs are overpriced, though. And I personally don't care for the current basses.
  17. PRS =

18. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I'm just not sure I can take advice about market viability from someone named DeLorian... ;)
  19. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    In a recent issue of Music Trader Paul Reed Smith himself laid out on how they are "aggressively" going after endorsers. Their A&R guy's job is basically to run around and give away guitars. Ever noticed on how much more "popular" than ever? Coincedence?
  20. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    Why is it when anyone states anything less than a "Paul Reed Smith is less than God" point of view that they are accused of being an Ed Roman cronie?
    very few builders truley handmake guitars or basses anymore. PRS used to, they don't know. They are still out the crack expensive and they still don't offer the "usual" options. Ebony fretboards, neck and headstock binding etc. Plus, they still use that el crapo Les Paul Jr. style wrap around bridge. *** is up with that?