Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PRS Bass: What Am I missing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eilif, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Over Christmas I played a PRS Bass at GC in Bloomington MN. I was not at all impressed it had a 2000+ price tag, and All I got was a bass that seemed rather heavy, not very distinctive in design (read: fender look alike), bolt on neck, and nothing spectacular about the sound.
    That said, it was well constructed and superior to many other basses in the 1200 and under catagory, but after being awed by their guitars, I was unimpressed by this bass offering.

Am I missing something I should have noticed about this instrument? Just curious.

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    What are you missing? Time, that you wasted trying that bass out!

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    You are not missing a thing. I tried the thing out after I had been playing some Skylines, Rumblefish, and Musicman. I picked this thing up, plugged it in, played it for a minute and hung it back on the wall. I dont like them. For the price a much nicer bass could be bought.

4. GruvSyco

GruvSyco

Jan 25, 2002
    I'm new here... HI!

I'd like to say that I'm a huge PRS guitar fan. But, their bass, honestly, if someone gave me one, I'd sell it and get me a Warwick or Stingray and a nice envelope filter. But again, for guitars I don't really like anything else.

5. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Good to know I am not completely inept at judging basses. Does anyone know what the selling points were for this instrument, or was it simply the PRS name? Also, what's with the blade style pickups?

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    People complain all the time about the Fender clones. This isn't one of them.

Be careful what you ask for...;)

7. I agree. They do have Hipshot tuners and bridge, and an 18v preamp, but the workmanship on them is not that good. Certainly not nearly as good as that of their guitars. I wonder why? Could it be that they are made by someone else and just marketed as a real PRS?

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Another PRS guitar fan. A friend of mine got a PRS over Christmas. this guitar rocks.. its the model just under the semi-hollow body one. it is a sweet guitar. if anyone deseves one he does. Jazz guitar major but is a rocker at heart.. But those basses. gosh.. i just can't make myself love them.... i don't know why...

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Just to pile on ...

I'm a fan of the PRS guitars as well, but I just don't care for their basses. I didn't like the old PRS basses either. For my tastes the PRSs basses fall between two stools: they don't capture the vintage vibe, for those who prefer that, and they don't give you the more modern, Ferrari-like thing that many current makers (Fodera, Zon, add your favorite name here) do. Nor do they seem to me to offer anything compelling of their own. And they cost a lot.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    actually,

i'd like to think PRS are a great marriage of the old and new. Tho it is made in a nostalgic fashion for the old. His guitars are no different in the vintage/modern approach not to mention as pricey as Tom Anderson's, Terry McInturff's, Brian Moore's, or Don Grosh's.

I own several PRS guitars and love them all. my main guitar is a goldtop McCarty that's been with me for the past 6 yrs. there are good deals to still be had if you look hard enough.

i too was very bummed out that the basses never measured up, but what do you expect? Paul's a guitar player. i kinda see the basses like Paul's early incarnations of his guitars. they were butt ugly, but good playing. maybe after a while, the basses will be up to speed and be on par with the guitars.

funny, but i always thought Keith Roscoe's basses looked like modded PRSi. hehe...

11. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Nice guitars.

Mediocre, overpriced basses.

12. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    PRS makes guitars. Id rather have 2 Fender basses than one PRS since they're so expensive.

13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I agree completely if you're talking about the guitars. The basses are more like a dysfunctional relationship between the two. (j/k) :D

14. I owned a PRS for about 8 years. Beautiful bass, quilt top, bird inlays, signature model. But never was happy with the sound I got. 1990, set neck. Sold it for what I paid for it, lucky me. Got a Fender Jazz Bass Relic & found out what I was missing. "TONE" Like I said beautiful bass, limited tone. But, that's my opinion & you know what they say about opinions.
    My new Stingray 4 sounds great also.

15. I like big necks.. but the one new PRS I tried out had a chunky neck in a bad way.

16. I thought someone here on TB had or has one.

17. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Every1TookMyName did/does own one.

18. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    JeremyC's main axe is a PRS 5 string, but it's one of the older neck thru models. I've played it and it's cool. I wouldn't bother to get a new one, though.

19. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    When I was shopping for a 5 string, I spent a day in a local Guitar Center playing every 5 they had on the wall: Tobias, Zon, Alembic, Pedulla, Modulus, Carvin (used), StingRay, Fender.

All were well constructed instruments but only a few really interested me. The others, as nicely made as they were, just didn't speak to me. Not every bass is going to be for you, that's as true in high-end models as it is in cheap ones.

I'll also point out that while PRS makes great guitars, their earlier basses failed to interest players. You know, Tobias, Pedulla, MusicMan, Zon and Alembic all do (or did) make six string guitars but none of them were popular, either.

20. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Good point, except for the MusicMan example. MM may not be setting the world on fire saleswise, but their guitars are good and do sell modestly.

I've even seen a Ken Smith guitar, and there are or were guitar pix on the MTD website.