PRS Basses!!! Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Jun 21, 2001.

1. I just returned from a local music store where I tried out a MIA Jazz, a Custom Shop Ibanez and a PRS Bass. The Custom Shop Ibanez was disappointing, but thats not whats important. What is important is the PRS Bass! It has that great Jazz tone and even better playability. I love this bass! However, I encountered some problems due to what I call the MYSTERY SWITCH. I just visited the PRS website, and the MYSTERY SWITCH is actually a switchable pre-amp. However, we didn't know that at the time, and the salesman had to call someone from Dallas, who said that the MYSTERY SWITCH was the piezo bridge. We had checked to see if it was a piezo bridge before hand by tapping the bridge in both switch positions, and both times it didn't sound like it had any piezo pick ups in there. In fact, the only controls were the tone, two volumes, and the MYSTERY SWITCH/switchable pre amp. So, I'm about to call the music store and tell them about their mistake. Their 'mistake' would have cost me $600 should I have bought it on the spot. I don't blame the sales guy, though. He was very helpful and friendly... anyways to keep this post from becoming anymore confusing, can anyone give some second opinions on PRS Basses? This was the first one I've seen. And it WILL be mine, soon enough. Oh yes, it will be mine. MWAHAHAAHA

(p.s. sorry about all that this is my first experience with GAS)
  2. i've never actually played one though they do look quite nice
    they do have a certain credible affiliation along side the guitars, which PRS are much more well know for, when they started making them, what 9/10 years ago?? they were quite esspensive, i've seen a few of the newer ones and they seem well matched in price to todays market, the look well made,

if you've got your heart set on it and you think that she's the one then do it, if you can play it against something alse that you really want, that'll prove wheather it's deserving of your cash

there well made , by a credible maker, and if they
    play well then , !bingo!
  3. Just got off the phone with the salesman! He took it off the shelf while I was talking to him... I'm making the down payment TOMORROW. WOO HOO!!!! ITS MINE! I'll see if I can post some pics of it later on! Its the bare bones model, but its BEAUTIFUL! EXCITMENT.....BARELY CONTAINED....WILLLL......EXPLODE.....

i know how you feel i still have to do a review of my newey
  5. thanks man!

So does anyone else have any experience with a PRS Bass?
  6. I had one of the original ones made in the late 80's. I think I bought it in 1988. Beautiful blue flamed maple top, set neck (not a bolt on like the ones I've seen recently) and the 4 pickups (three on the top and the phantom PU set in the back of the body). I spent $1500 on it new which was a ton of money then. It was a great bass but a few years later, I sold it to buy a Spector which as it turns out, I didn't keep for very long. That was really stupid of me. Of the many basses I've owned over the years, that PRS and my white Kubicki Ex-Factor (number 198 I think) are the ones I really regret selling.

Congrats on the new PRS, I'm sure you will kove it.
  7. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I've never played a PRS bass but do love my Kubiki Ex-factor bass, which is a Fender made one.
  8. Yeah that Factor I had was nice. It was a pre-Fender too! Now I think long and hard before I part with something.
  9. I work in a music shop and we have a Platinum PRS bass in stock. The switch is a preamp on/off. It is indeed a beautiful bass, it has Hipshot Ultralite tuners, and I think the bridge may be Hipshot also. It sounds and plays great, and if it was a 5 string I would buy it, but I have no use for a 4. My only niggles are 1/ the ends of the frets could be a little smoother, they feel a little bit sharp when you slide your hand up the neck, but a luthier could fix that no sweat, and 2/ for a bass this price I would like to see threaded brass inserts for the cavity plate screws, or alternatively a separate battery compartment. BTW, it has 18volt electronics.
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    So...what is the current street price on these?
  11. what's the finish like? while i've never played a PRS bass, i can say that like the guitars, they really are beautiful. in tim mahoney's personal page on the <a href="">311 website</a>, he has pictures of his PRS guitars, all of which make me drool.