Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PRS Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ashton, Jun 7, 2001.

1. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    if anyone here is in touch with their six string guitar playing cousins, the lead guitarists, you probably heard of PRS or Paul Reed Smith. Paul owns all the pantents for the whole of the gibson classic series- meaning he designed and built them. and he also own the rights to humbucker pickups. well he fineshed working for gibson and then something happened and he wanted the best ever guitar built for him, and it was done and it is now PRS guitars. weel PRS have started making basses. looks like a P bass but upon closer inspection it has down on the bridge ON the strings it has and extra set of pickups, for acoustic sounds. who thinks this is a sweet idea, i do and for the $16000 base price it better fu(***g be.
    later
    Lukas

2. Yea, I could buy 4 pre-cbs Jazz Basses for that.

--C4

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  4. My point exactly.

5. i think you have your facts a little messed up there...

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I think many of the original Gibson patents on the humbucker have lapsed. PRS might have bought some of Gibson's intellectual property (which explains why a lot of his guitars are called "McCarty"s, R.I.P.)

As for the basses, I think they're the same as his guitars: nice, but way overpriced. I don't agree with a lot of Ed Roman's views, but I think his assessment of PRSs as "rich dentist" guitars is spot on.

PS. In the footsteps of Brian Moore, PRS is now making budget guitars overseas. A budget bass will probably follow.

7. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    well all this im just repeating what my local prs dealer said, he plays them and sells them so i thought he was for real.
    you all prooved me wrong but its ok.
    later
    Lukas