1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PRS Gary Grainger 5 weight

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slpbass81, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Slpbass81

Slpbass81

Dec 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Endorsing: GHS Strings
    There are a couple used PRS Gary Grainger 5 string basses for sale around me. I haven't been able to find the weight of the bass online anywhere. It's a great bass but if it's heavy I'm going to pass because we play 3-4 hour gigs.

2. NG51

NG51 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Oakland,CA
    I have one- it came in at 9.8 lbs (with leather strap )on my bath scale. It doesn't feel very heavy-very well balanced.

3. Slpbass81

Slpbass81

Dec 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Yea trying to decide, it's $2,400 used but it has been around the block. Th e wear doesn't bother me but if I decide to sell it I will take a decent loss.

4. NG51

NG51 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Oakland,CA
    I just got mine. I'll be playing it quite a bit over the next week at rehearsals- be happy to let you know what I think. Pm me if you want.
    You're right - they're not cheap. I have to say that I'm very impressed so far.

5. Slpbass81

Slpbass81

Dec 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Keep me updated on your review.

6. NG51

NG51 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Oakland,CA
    Will do. Weight is an issue for me,too.

7. Slpbass81

Slpbass81

Dec 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Did you buy your bass new?

8. NG51

NG51 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Oakland,CA
    I did. Just got it Friday.

9. Slpbass81

Slpbass81

Dec 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Nice, send a pic

10. NG51

NG51 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Oakland,CA
    IMAG1027.jpg
    This was at the music store Friday.

11. Slpbass81

Slpbass81

Dec 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Wow, that finish is amazing. If the used model had that finish I would buy it for the price it is now. If you don't mind me asking with that finish did it fall under $3k or was that $3500+? I might need to pony up for a new one.

12. NG51

NG51 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Oakland,CA
    I don't think it would be under $3K, but it might be sub $3500,depending upon options. Mine had a 10 top, which is a pretty expensive upgrade. In retrospect, I would maybe just take the standard top and save a bunch. I had a little ' funny money' because I had a trade,too. I bought in from Dan ville Music here in Northern CA- the guys there are fantastic,and worked super hard to make it work for me. It would probably be a good idea to check with them to see what they could do. I've bought 5 instruments from them over the last several years, and they have always gone out of their way to help me out. If you want to PM me your phone number, I'd be happy to talk with you about it.

13. NG51

NG51 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Oakland,CA
    Just to clarify,the finish is not extra, but the upgrade top is.

14. Nightman

Nightman If it ain't low, it's got to go! Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    What product are you using to clean & polish your Grainger?

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020