PRS/Gibson lawsuit finally over.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by eldave777, Sep 23, 2005.

1. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    As many of you know the lawsuit that prevented PRS from making the singlecut guitars was in appeal for a while. PRS won!!! So now they can ship out the singlecuts they had left and get back to making them again. Serves Gibson right IMO.
  2. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Gibson just waited to sue someone who could actually pay a lawsuit fine, and now that's not going to happen. I love it. Gibson saying that someone might think a PRS singlecut was a Gibson is so absurd. PRS could pay so they are the ones that finally got sued.
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Given Gibson's current status, the idea that anyone who could afford a PRS would confuse it with a Gibson, or would want to trade on Gibson's industry "goodwill," is absurd.
  4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Rockin'! That Gibson lawsuit definitely put me off of them permanently (extremely tempted to buy a new Epi hollowbody, though...:crying: ). I actually checked out the PRS site a little while back and they had no mention of the suit, and singlecuts had quite simply dropped off the page entirely.
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I asked the guy at Sam Ash why they stopped carrying Gibson/Epiphone guitars. There were literally none on the walls. He said it was because they were absolute bastards to deal with.

For a big store like that to drop one their biggest brands says a lot about the company and how they deal with people.

Just another indicator of Gibson's philosophy on business. :meh:
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I heard things about $100,000 minimum orders, and more or less zero quality control. Stuff that made low end Ibanez look top notch kind of stuff.
  7. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Epeiphone is not too bad. Gibson is HORRIBLE!!!! They are the worst in treating thier customers with any respect. A local guitar shop I used to work at recieved a broken SG faded. They sent it back, and requested a replacement. They had to push for replacement, because Gibson wanted to just repair it. (They obviously paid for a new one, not a repair, so they wouldn't take a repaired one) So, after sending it back, it took a year and a half for them to get their replacement.
  8. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Woo, go PRS! Seriously that's great news, after seeing so many far more blatent Les Paul ripoffs from minor manufactures I was irritated to see Gibson attempt to sue PRS, I mean seriously, the PRS singlecut was even more expensive than most Les Pauls and a superior product, how on earth were people going to get confused between the two! Ah PRS rock.
  9. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    gibson cs can suck all they want. people are still going to buy gibbies, people are still going to play them.

hell, if i ever play guitar in a band again, i will be getting another 69 reissue sg.

i dont know. prs is good and all, but its not a gibson.
  10. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Finding a good Gibson is like finding a good MIM Fender, except five time harder. When you find a good one, you love it, but it's a long journey.
  11. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Have you ever actually played a PRS? Its like driving Hondas all your life and then climbing into a Ferrari. I can hack out a few tunes on a geetar, but when I picked up my buddy's PRS, even I sounded great. So you are right...prs is no Gibson, but that's only important to people who care what name is on the headstock. PRS rocks.
  12. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    True. What can I say? Some people are idiots.

So, your saying that even though you know Gibson sucks you would still buy one? :confused: Are you saying you would buy it just for the name? Thats like someone buying a Gibson era Tobias and thinking they have a real Tobias. :rollno:

No, its not a Gibson. Its better!
  13. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I just looked at the PRS singlecut, it's not original at all, it's a 99% copy of the LesPaul. Not that it's wrong, but they could have at least put some originality into the design.
  14. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I haven't played a bad 335, I've played some dog Paul's but something about a good 335 still does it for me.
  15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    How about the multitudes of 100%, unlicensed copies?
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, let's take a look. Here's the PRS:

And here's the Paul:

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, I've tried to overlay the PRS on the Gibson. Let's see how this looks.
  18. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Gibson should start making Single Cuts with bird inlays. Then PRS can sue them.
  19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I've never played a PRS that I truly loved. It's really personal preference. My taste leans toward my 96 Les Paul and away from any PRS that I've played.

That said , "better", is never a univeral thing.
  20. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    i concur, my dad has an es335 that he got used in '72 and the thing still plays freakin awesome...when it stays in tune. I feel like epiphones are the way to go, my guitarist's epi LP just feels nicer than any of the new gibson stuff.

prs is pretty pricey though.