1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PRS, ROSCOE, STU HAMM, ROB ALLEN

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B0Y0HB0Y, Mar 1, 2008.

1. B0Y0HB0Y

B0Y0HB0Y

Mar 1, 2008
    Hey All

Brand new here and can't believe I found this forum! I have a small hand and have ALWAYS played 32" scales and have gone out of my way to either find them or have them built for me.

Pictured is serial #11, a bass that Paul Reed Smith built in 1977. I actually custom ordered #7, YES that is the 7th instrument that Paul ever built, but the neck warped and he loaned me #11, which he had just finished building at the time the neck problem started. I fell in love with #11 and refused to give it back later when #7 proved to be not fixable. Scale is actually about 32 1/2" which was just the way Paul built it back then. Electronics feature a Bartolini Hi A Beast with a 9 position rotary switch along with a Rickenbacker in the treble position rewound by Paul himself. The neck and body are a special Honduras mahogany that Paul used in the late 70's, same wood they made maribas out of. He would hang the neck and body blanks and strike them with a wooden mallet and if the wood didn't ring for at least 10 seconds he wouldn't use it. Fingerboard is rosewood and of course, note the mother of pearl birds. Fret markers are sterling silver and the fingerboard is naturally bound. That means he shaved a tiny slice off of each side of the fingerboard, mounted the frets, and then glued those strips back in, so you can't see the "T" of the frets when looking at the side of the neck. This baby is perfect and doesn't even sport a belt buckle scratch.

The next two basses are straight ahead 32" medium scale basses built by Keith Roscoe of North Carolina to my specs. I picked out the wood myself for both. Both of these bad boys only have piezos and have complete midi systems installed so I can trigger midi sounds as well as play bass. The birds eye came first and the original version had magnetic Bartolini's on it in addition to the peizos and midi system. Problem was, at my band rehearsals, every time I switched the mags off, the band went WHOA, wait a minute, what do you do, that sounds GREAT! So, I had Keith make me a new body, eliminating the magnetic pickups altogether. Needed two in case I break a string (I DO!) so I have a spare. The one on the left is buckeye burl and the other one is birds eye maple. Both have spanish cedar bodies and spalted purple heartwood fingerboards which feature chocolate and vanilla stripes. Both also have LED's in the neck so when the lightman leaves you in the dark you can still get around.

The red bass is probably familar to many. A Stu Hamm 32" Fender model which I actually bought just for the neck. John Ingram formerly of PRS Guitars is going to help me load that neck into a vintage Fender 1951 Tele Bass Style body. I believe this one is a Mexican model with EMG pickups and I think is an Urge I. I hope to start on this project really soon. Anyone need an Urge body? I won't have any use for that or the EMG Jazz style pickups.

The other shot is of my custom Rob Allen Mouse, which you probably know is a 30" scale. I picked out the maple top which is both flamed and spalted in Santa Barbara at his shop. This also has LED's in the neck and is an incredible sounding bass. You can really get around on it too for writing and just plain having fun.

Hope you all enjoy! I am going to try to post these photos now, (wish me luck!) and get busy reading all of the fabulous posts on here!

Best,

B0Y0HB0Y!

Attached Files:

2. Welcome to TB! We're like a cult, but with more money invested :)

Congratulations on the fantastic basses. Do you have any more pictures of the Roscoes?

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Welcome to TB. Those Roscoes are quite stunning. You need to venture down to the Roscoe forum and post them there, as well. I LOVES me some LG3000s!

4. Nice collection! Your Mouse is stunning.

5. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Neat Roscoes you've got.

6. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Welcome to TB, and thanks for posting photos of those very cool basses! Check out a recent thread called "the medium scale club" where medium scale basses are particularly appreciated.

7. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
  8. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Welcome, love the PRS.

9. When I was speccing out my Roscoe SKB-3006 I remember lusting after that buckeye Roscoe of yours. Love it to death! One of my favourite basses visually (Ok, enough fawning now!) :cool:

10. Hey All

As the original poster, I wanted to update the post by giving you the link to my medium scale bass gallery.

www.innertainment.net

Thanks, and it is much better with nice photos of the basses mentioned in the original post....

Keep pluckin....

BassHappy