PRS SE Kestrel modded ala Cliff Burton

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nachothrash, May 8, 2018.

1. nachothrash

nachothrash

Mar 16, 2014
    Argentina
    Hi guys! I just wanted to show you my latest acquisition
    I was about to buy a Squier PJ and slam a mudbucker on it just to mess around (made a post about it some months ago), when I found a store selling a brand new PRS SE Kestrel for dirt cheap (inflation is high over here, and the price looked like it was from two years ago).
    So I bought it, and sent it to a luthier to mod the hell out of it.
    The goal was to mod it very much like Cliff did with his Rickenbacker.
    So the pickups were replaced with a Dimarzio Willpower and an Ultra Jazz. Cliff used a Gibson mudbucker and a SD Hot Stack, I basically went with the closest Dimarzio version of each one
    A new pickguard was made from scratch to cover the hole left by the original jazz neck pickup
    Plus, a volume knob was replaced with a 3 way toggle switch
    And finally, it was strung with a pack of Rotosounds Swing Bass RS66lb (same as Cliff used), which make bendings and lead playing much more comfortable
    The PRS itself is one hell of a bass. I could not find any single flaw on it's construction, and it's a complete joy to play
    My luthier also did a very professional job. All the mods look neat and work as expected
    Since it is red & white, I think it ended looking like a nice tribute, but with some own identity

VMRYqcu.jpg
    CmPxXfW.jpg

It doesn't sound exactly like Cliff's Rick, but I'm very happy with the results
    I'll post some sound clips soon

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    Hoyt, Crusher47, gfen and 8 others like this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Great choices and a great looking bass!

nachothrash likes this.
  3. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Ooooo, very cool. Did you wire the Will Power series or parallel?

merseymale likes this.
  4. merseymale

merseymale

Oct 28, 2018
    Did you ever get round to recording this?

Did you wire it in series or parallel?

5. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Nice job :thumbsup:, if I didn't know it I'd think it was factory. I too am curious about how it sounds.

merseymale likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 25, 2022