Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PRS Signature Series Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sliderbass, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Sliderbass

Sliderbass Dr. Bass, The best cabinet you'll NEVER own! Supporting Member

I'm looking for info on a PRS bass that I have. What I'm interested in is what it may be worth. I've sent photo's to PRS and I know some of the story, but I'm looking to sell it and I don't want to get taken on its value.

My wife bought it for me brand-new. Its an '89 by the serial number and it has the #2 next to where it was signed on th eback of the headstock. If I understand what they did with the numbering of this series, this is the second instrument produced and it may be the first bass of the series.

I've read allot of the info availabile, including Ed Roman's "Love" of PRS instruments. Is there someone here who can asist me in finding-out what the bass is worth? :help:

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Ed Roman's just a bitter old codger who hates PRS because they called him on his crap. He used to retop PRS guitars and sell them as his own -- PRS found out, and took away his dealership. Face!

Sorry I can't help you about the price thing, but it should be a pretty penny. Check for PRS basses on eBay, that might give you a (very) rough price estimate.

3. Sliderbass

I've seen one other on e-bay that was not in as good shape as mine but the auction ended early. The price was a little over $3500.00 before it was pulled. :hyper:

I guess I could use that as a "ballpark". Thanks.

4. Sliderbass

bump

5. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    For a fee, you can get a professional appraisal at Gruhn Guitars, who are one of the authorities on such things. I've used this service for insurance purposes in the past.

This seems like a pretty rare and special bass which deserves this sort of pro attention. Ed Roman, in all truth, is probably one of the better guys to talk to about it, but I'm with the general consensus that agrees he's not pleasant to do business with.

I apologize if this isn't the right link:www.gruhn.com

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

Not the best site, but they deal with alot of pro's. It is in my home town and oftentimes have 30-50 PRS laying around. Contact them, they are stand up people that I can vouch for.

http://davesguitar.com/

7. odie

odie Supporting Member

8. Sliderbass

Thanks for the info everyone! Think I'll fiill out the paperwork from Gruhn and see what I get back!

I actually did call Ed on this a few years ago. Before he was in Vegas. He was..........interesting to talk to! Ed told me that all of the PRS basses "Suck" and they were wortless. I asked "even the signature series?", "Yup.....them too", and then he hung-up. :eyebrow:

9. Pictures!!!
    There's a store in Texas called Bass Emporium (bassemporium.com) that has a Signature tagged at $1749 with bad buckle wear.
    Linkie:
    http://www.bassemporium.com/item.php?sku=PAULREED4
    I used to have Mr. Smiff's personal office number, but I lost it on purpose after he was rude to me one too many times. Good luck getting info out of them... :scowl:

10. Sliderbass

I checked out the pix of the one at Bass Emporium......that one is a little.....rough.

I'll post a few of mine tonight. It's in WAY better shape and no buckle rash!

11. Sliderbass

Here are some pix of my PRS:

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Hey, that's actually a fairly attractive bass. I hate the look of new PRS basses, but that's pretty swank.

13. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Wow that was made for metal.

14. Sliderbass

Some of the back

15. Hola
    Yours is not a Custom...the model is the "Basic 4" and yours happens to have the upgraded fingerboard inlays, the vaunted PRS "birds."
    Except for the handful of hand-signed Customs, which had ebony fingerboards and even more inflated prices :eek: there were between 800 and 1000 PRS basses made--half were set necks, like yours, and half were bolt-one, like mine.
    I'd say you'd get $2K at the most, but urge you to have Gruhn appraise it. They were never exactly hot sellers, then or now...
    Are you selling out of financial need? If you're not looking down the barrel of an otherwise unpayable bill, you might want to hold onto it and avoid the heartbreak of seeing it sell for a lot less than you think it should.
    KFS

16. Sliderbass

I don't have a "gun" pointed at me to anything like that. Just trying to find out what this thing is worth. I've tried twice before and never got too far.

This bass has been sitting for awhile....I generally don't take it out on gigs but I do play it at home. :bassist:

I filled out the form from Gruhn for their appraisal, so we'll see. One thing, This IS a signature series bass, so its one of the "handful" of basses They made. Its not one of the basic models. The fingerboard was an upgrade and the headstock is signed on he back with the #2 on it.