Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Prunes & Custard or Wooly Mammoth?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by anastasio24, Mar 27, 2004.

1. anastasio24

anastasio24

May 24, 2003
    Maryland
    I am getting ready to finish my rig up with a fuzz box. My current bass is passive and I have no problem using any pedals with it but my new Modulus Q5 should arrive (hopefully) within the next 30 days. It has active electronics on it (Aguilar OBP-3 and barts). I want to get a fuzz that will work running into my Lovetone Meatball or behind my Mutron III (Mutron isn't too happy with fuzz in front of it). I play mostly funky stuff and have no desire to go for a metal sound so the fuzz is to add to the funk.

Of these two pedals, in your experience, which works better with active electronics and which is the funkier fuzz sounding of the two? I am going to try out a Wooly Mammoth today but I can't find any place that stocks the Prunes & Custard so your opinion is greatly appreciated.

Also, I know the Wooly Mammoth is far more expensive but I am more concerned about sound than anything else.

Thanks!

Brian

2. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Hey, nobody's responded yet, huh? Did you get to try the Woolly? I have one, I really like it, but it's definitely got its own thing going. CRAZY FUZZ!!! Plus the pinch knob. I like to make it gurgle. It might be weird in front of an envelope filter - keep the envelope from triggering? And if you put it later in the chain I might worry that it would cover up the effect. If you're the experimental type then go for it, but if you have something specific in mind that you want to achieve, realize that it's going to take some experimenting to get there...

Haven't tried the Prunes & Custard, though I want to. That has some of its own envelope follower qualities built in, doesn't it? Gonna see if I can find one this weekend... :ninja:

3. Yep, a Prunes and Custard is an envelope filter followed by a drive or maybe it's the other way around. Anywayz it's not just a fuzzbox and you can dial in or out the amount of fuzz you want. The sound is like no other pedal I've ever used so it's hard to explain but I would say you wouldn't want to use it in conjunction with another envelope filter,... or maybe you would.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I have both a Wooly and a Meatball. Let me tell you - the Wooly Mammoth HATES active systems. It gets very squishy and doesn't sound very good. It's not the higher output, it's the impedance mis match that makes it suck. If you are using a passive bass, it RULES (one could even say that it RULEZ!)!! I love the pedal, and I still use it with my active Steinberger, but it's just not the same. I'm actually in process of looking around for a passive replacement pickup to get the full tone of my pedals back.

If you want something really funky in the loop of the Meatball, try a ring mod or an octave fuzz. Now that is sick!

5. lowendgrumble

lowendgrumble

Apr 13, 2003
    Chicago, il
    How does the wooly react to a active bass that is in passive mode< like if i pull the volume pot on my lakland, it goes passive.
    Does that work with the wooly??

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It should work alot better, as long as it's truly passive. Passive systems are a high impedance signal, which is what the WM needs to see to get a good tone. If it still runs at a low impedance in passive mode, then it won't help much.

The Wooly is probably the pedal most deserving of the try before you buy moniker. I would say that 1 out of 10 bassists truly "get" it.

7. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    However, doing this may introduce another problem... Laklands with Barts (at least the 55-94 and similar Skyline models) really are designed/intended to be run with the preamp. Dam Lakin himself says this, as the Bartolini pickups he uses are very low-ouput... this is why you'll probably hear a big difference in volume between active modes and passiv modes. You can always adjust this using the trim pot inside the cavity, but my 55-94 and Skyline (when I had it) always sounded much better with the preamp gain turned up a lot, which made the passive mode very much quieter in comparison. Passive mode is really in there for emergency purposes only.

8. anastasio24

anastasio24

May 24, 2003
    Maryland
    Thanks for all your input. I love the Woolly Mammoth with a passive bass and as soon as the Quantum arrives I am taking it to a store to try out pretty much every thing in the store. Hopefully they will have something that will work if the Zvex pedals don't like the actives.

I have heard that if the Zvex doesn't work that maybe I should try to Black Cat Octave Fuzz. I guess the bass will make the decision for me.

Thanks,

Brian