Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Prunes & Custard Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by turnuptheBASS, Jan 9, 2006.

1. turnuptheBASS

turnuptheBASS

Jan 30, 2005
    So. CA.
    I have done a search and found that almost everyone who has tried this pedal loves it. I am just wondering if this pedal will be the one for me.....
    I am looking to get some subtle synth sounds with a little fuzz....Will this pedal do it for me? or should I be looking at something totally different?

2. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    hmmm..you may just love it too!
    yes, you can get anything from subtle synth sounds to totally outrageous fuzzy synth. I use mine with a EBS Octabass and Q-Tron filter for the ultimate in synthy, but manageable tones. I find these three FX in combination work great for the P Funk.

3. I've said it before, I'll say it again;

Just get one, you'll love it.

4. turnuptheBASS

turnuptheBASS

Jan 30, 2005
    So. CA.
    Does anyone have a clip of these synth type sounds from their Prunes & Custard?....Will I need to add an enveope filter too if I wanted it to get some really funky sounds?

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I had a clip in the tb big sound sample thread, I can upload it again tonight or tomorrow if it has expired. Personally I was never a huge fan of the way the prunes drove and ev filter but then that could just be the ev filters I used. Its an amazing stand-alone pedal it just got some special mojo. I'll never sell mine.

6. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
  7. The P&C? I wouldn't say you can do that at all. It's a fairly unique sound, and one without too much variation really. If that's what you want out of a pedal, then the Deep Impact is gonna keep you much happier than the P&C.

8. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Where does one purchase a Prunes and Custard?

9. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Is it that store on Ebay? Anyone know how much they charge to send to the states? I asked them, but no reply yet.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  11. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I'd be interested in hearing a sample of this too.

It's currently on my list of "that sounds promising based on the written description but I'd like to hear if it actually sounds like how I want it to sound" pedals, right next to the POG.

12. If you're looking into the Prunes & Custard, I would definately recommend trying to check out the Studio Electronics Wolftone Chaos. I found that it sounds almost the same but has a wider range of control and a more natural sounding low end. Not that the P&C is bad, but in A-B comparisons I definately prefered the Chaos. I think they sell for only $20 more than the Crowther. Studio Electronics mainly builds high quality analog synths, and they know their electronics. The Chaos has the cleanest circuitboard I have ever seen. It does take up a bit more pedalboard real estate than the Crowther; it's outline is like that of a wah pedal.

13. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I've got a clip of the Prunes and Custard by itself playing "Deeper Underground" by Jamiroquai, with a light distortion before it playing "Hysteria", and running into a Maxon AF-9 Env. Filter for a "Sir Psycho Sexy" kinda sound.

You can find them all here:

Hysteria
    Deeper Underground
    Sir Psycho Sexy

14. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Thank you very much for the clips. Sounds very promising. Not quite what I had expected, but still intriguing nonetheless.
    Thanks, of course this also begs the question: clips available?:D

15. I don't have any way of getting sound clips into the computer. The Studio Electronics site has a bunch of clips that should give you a sense of what it sounds like. It maintains the same type of sound character with a bass signal just as well as on the guitar clips.

16. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    By the way, in all those clips, the Prunes and Custard is on the same setting. It shows how versatile it can be when used with other pedals. It can get much more hectic than that, but also much more subtle, it's a lovely pedal. Can't see me selling it any time soon.

17. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Try a Korg G5!!!

18. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I like the weird settings on the P&C, but it also sounds great with the mix down low as a plain ol' fat-sounding distortion pedal. Just wondering if anyone thinks the "guitar/bass" switch on the newest version does much?

19. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    You're right, it doesn't do much, but there is a difference. When flipped to the guitar side it does sound a *little* squelchier I think, but for some reason, I just prefer it on the Bass side. Seems to react better with my other pedals.