1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PSA: Fingerstyle Funk download

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by SBassman, Apr 27, 2006.

1. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Interested in Rocco Prestia's extraordinary Fingerstyle Funk video? Don't want to buy prehistoric VHS tapes? Don't need to.

The video is now available for purchase as a Windows Media Player Video WMV file.

Check it out on Rocco's website:

http://www.roccoprestia.com/merchandise/

2. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Now if I just had the written material.

That dude plays hard!

3. Wow, that's awesome! A great idea, too, having the videos as downloadable purchases.

4. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Anybody have the book that goes with this video? I would really love to see the written music so I can associate the notation with the actual rhythm. Sure, I can pick up and play from the video, but that doesn't help my reading heheh.

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Maybe e-mail Video Progressions and ask the if they'll send you a copy.

6. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Good idea :)

Edit: They got back to me already, they are in the process of getting a the written material on the website. Should be a week or so..

7. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    anyone has any opinions on his Bass Day 98 video? Who is he playing with? full band?

8. Zaxyl

Zaxyl

Mar 28, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    nah, it's him with Jeff, David, and one of ToP's first sax players (forget the name, :meh:).

Also, Rocco is one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

9. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    A video sample sure would be nice. Anyone have any comments about the quality of the video, topcis covered, etc.

10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    It's not some comprehensive bass method.

But, it is an extremely effective, fun, complete look at Rocco's muted Fingerstyle approach.

If you're not into Fingerstyle Funk, it's not for you.
    If you are, it's Essential and Excellent.

Really, lots of videos are poorly planned streams of
    "look what I can do." This is a carefully planned, long video
    with a ton of work. Rocco explains his technique and then breaks down various segments of TOP tunes illustrating the technique. They do a very cool job of weaving him playing the segment into him playing with the entire band.

There were no shortcuts with the video. Again, if you're into that style, it's absolutely excellent.

11. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    It is well worth the download price. Besides Grooving for Heaven stuff from Norm Stockton, this is the best instructional video I have seen in a long time that teaches a musical style. I'm not saying I don't like other videos or there aren't other good ones out there (I like Todd Johnson's stuff too), just that this one is really really well done.

12. Thanks for the heads-up. I'm probably going to buy this, Mr. Prestia is one of my favorite bassist.

13. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Good deal. I don't have a VHS player anymore so this is great.

14. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    If you like Rocco, you'll appreciate the video for the entertainment value alone, let alone the fact that it also an excellent and effective instructional video.

15. I bought it yesterday. It is indeed a very cool video. I love the fact that he makes the songs appear so simple, i could play along with most songs as i watched half of it yesterday.

Still, it would be better with the original booklet. Great purchase, and i'd definitely recommend it.

16. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Hey, if some of you own this video but never watched it completely through, make sure you check out the Rocco outtakes at the end. Very funny stuff.