PSA: Guitar Center ripping off customers on their GC Bucks promotion

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jtlee, Feb 27, 2019.

1. jtlee

jtlee Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I just received my GC Bucks from Guitar Center for the $10 for every $50 spent promotion they ran from 1/10 - 1/13 (screenshot of the ad from the site is attached).

GCbucks2.jpg

I got hosed.

I've done this promotion several times in the past and have had problems every time. I've always had to call in about GC bucks I never received or for wrong amounts.

I made 5 orders from 1/10 - 1/13:
    1/10 - $669.99
    1/12 - $999.99
    1/13 - $249.99
    1/13 - $349.99
    1/13 - $199.99
    Total: $2469.95 (this does not included any tax or shipping costs)

So according to the terms, I should be receiving $494 in GC bucks ($2469.95 divided by $50 x $10 = $493.99). They sent me $360.

So I called them and spoke to a customer service rep who apparently can't do math. He said I should have only received $350. What??? I went over the math with him several times and ended up on hold for quite a while so he could go over it with "management".

As I said before, I've taken advantage of this promotion several times in the past; they've always calculated GC bucks on the total number of qualifying purchases over the promotion period. That's exactly how it's worded in the advertisement (see screenshot). This guy is now telling me that they're rounding down and doing it PER ORDER. So on the first order of $669.99, it gets based off of $650 (since that's divisible by $50) and I get $130 for that order, and so on. But that means on an order of $249.99, I only get $40 instead of $50 (based on $250). Even if that's the case (which it shouldn't be based on the terms), it's $2250 rounded down PER order = $450.

So after an endless hold, he backtracks and says that, according to management, they only paid out for the first 3 orders due to a glitch and I should be getting another $100 via email for the last 2 orders. Now it looks like they're NOT rounding down. *** is going on???

TLDR: You should have gotten your GC bucks by now (2/27). Check the amount carefully and call Customer Service to get it corrected.

GCbucks.png

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  2. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    The terms & conditions state the buyer earns $10 for each $50 increment on a single purchase. If the item was $249.99 you’d earn $40. Are you saying that should be $50?

3. jtlee

jtlee Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I've done this promotion several times in the past and they always totaled all the purchases for the entire promotion period instead of doing it per order. As I wrote in the OP, even if they did round down per order, they stiffed me by $90 (I should have received $450 if calculated that way, not the $360 I received).

If I had know it was going to be per order, I would have just added a pick or something cheap as a filler to tack on the $.01 per order.

4. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    I calculate $450. But I agree the wording of the T&C for the promotion is vague. It’s weasel-worded.

jtlee likes this.
  5. jtlee

jtlee Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I re-uploaded the T&C (larger so people can read it all). It actually doesn't say anywhere that it's "$10 for each $50 on a single purchase".
    Just "up to $500 in Guitar Center Bucks for $2500 in qualifying purchases"(plural).

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  6. jtlee

jtlee Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Hahaha, just got a call back from corporate. This just gets dumber with each person dealing with it.

So his "official" stance for the reason I didn't get the additional $134 in GC bucks I deserved:

1) The item purchased had to actually ship by 1/13 in order to qualify. So the orders I made on 1/13 didn't qualify because they didn't ship until a few days later. His advice was to not buy used items during that promotional period because they ship from different stores and likely wouldn't go out the same day. Are you freakin' kidding me???

2) GC bucks are based on single orders, not cumulative for the promotion period. I asked him to point out to me where in the T&C/terms of the promotion it says that (I even read back the entire page to him); he couldn't and did agree that the wording was unclear. But that's how it's "set up in the system". I asked him if I had added a $.01 penny filler item on each order if I would have gotten the extra GC bucks and he said "yes".

I also asked him if I had purchased all of the guitars on a single order on 1/13 and one of them didn't ship, would I have gotten $0 in GC bucks, he said "it's possible". He also said that, looking at the numbers, that they did round up and I got the amount that I should have and that they would give me the extra $100 on the 1/13 orders as a courtesy. I explained the maths to him again (that they rounded down) and he didn't have an answer. Just a "I don't want to take up more of your time..." ending. Nice way to treat a customer that's bought over $250,000 in merchandise over the last 25+ years.