PSA regarding Idiotbox Dark Waves.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 2010P, Apr 12, 2018.

1. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    Up front, this has a very happy ending and those of you with Dark Waves will benefit.

Also up front, Matt is awesome and he's the most responsive pedal builder I've ever dealt with.

Now for the story...........

So I was having real issues with my Dark Waves. I had to send two back and got my third one in a few days ago that had the same issue.

The issue was that upon power up, only the echo section of the pedal was working. The chorus section refused to engage unless I physically unplugged the power and replugged it in. Doing this is a drag and made the pedal, as amazing as it is, a real bummer live.

Well, when the third one came in with the same issue, I just figured it was something I had to deal with and I didn't bother Matt about it.

About an hour ago I got an unsolicited email from Matt, which said this (copied and pasted from email)

"Hey! DId you get the new Dark Waves? I got the other one back and it works flawless for me...If you are still having the issue let know what output of your power supply you are using. Looking into it, most of yours are 100mA and then a couple 250mA. The Dark Waves is pulling right at 100mA so that could be the issue."

and this...."Freaking sweet! Yeah just had another dude with a similar issue hit me up today. He has a walrus supply that is very similar to yours. I'm gonna mark it 120mA on the page just to help avoid the issue :)"

So, just in case anyone has a Dark Waves and is experiencing the issue, simple make sure you are supplying it with 120 or higher milliamps. When I switched it to a 250ma output, the pedal works perfectly. Kind of sounds like it has more output and headroom too although that could be my imagination.

So to sum up, not only did Matt take two pedals back and work with me to get me one that he knew would work, he also followed up with me out of the blue with a real solution. I'd say that will make me a customer for life now. Kudos to Matt and Idiotbox.

And yes, you all should buy a Dark Waves. It rules on bass and has THE SOUND of the 80's if that's what you're going for with your chorus.

That Coyote and jazznrick like this.
  2. rjovin

rjovin Supporting Member

May 27, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    maybe now that he has an extra two apparently working pedals i'll finally get mine :D

2010P likes this.
  3. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    Lol!

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021