PSP game station: need advice please.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rockin John, Jan 6, 2006.

1. On behalf of my son (who expects me to fix everything for him... ;) ) I need advice about loading music tracks onto the PSP.

It seems that the Memory Stick needs to have a folder created: either one called PSP if it isn't there already but then a sub folder called Music.

How do I create the folders required? As far as I can see the user book doesn't explain this. The only possibility I can see is to format the Stick?

I then intend to dump tracks using the USB port via the Sony software, SonicStage.

Advice on any aspect sincerely appreciated.

2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Use a USB 2.0 cable to connect the PSP to your computer. In the settings menu option there is a USB (something) selection. Select this to put the PSP into USB mode. The PSP will mount as a drive on your computer. You can then add directories and copy files as if it were another drive on your computer.

The PSP manual will tell you how to set up the folder structure. The important thing is, if the folder is shown as "MUSIC" in the manual, then you have to use all caps. Naming the folder "music" or "Music" will result in it not being recognized by the PSP.

I hope you have another memory stick as the included 32MB stick won't hold more than a few songs (gotta store the game saves on this stick too).

You don't need to use software to move music that's already in .mp3 format. Just copy the files onto the PSP. The Sony software probably re-encodes the music in their proprietary ATRAC+ format anyways, so it'll take longer then just copying the files over.
  3. Well, I've followed your advice and it works. :hyper: Thanks.

The bit about the folder didn't seem to apply. I downloaded Sony's SonicStage S/ware and did it like that. Plug the PSP in, do the USB bit and the S/ware sees the PSP as a mass storage device and away we went.

Actually, the process is all but identical to my lad's Sony MP3 player.

So we're sorted. Yes. A much bigger stick is next on his shopping list. :meh: