Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pssst! Can you hook me up?...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hambone, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Here's a chance to do something to support music in the schools and maybe call in a chip or two if you've gottem available.

My wife is the VP of the Boosters for the local HS marching band. They're a small (100 with flags) unit but are pretty tight come competition time. Though the band thrives in action, they are dirt poor as most organizations go. Lots of reasons for this so you can pass blame around pretty evenly but the bottom line is that funding is always a struggle. Of course, the boosters are constantly trying to come up with fundraising ideas but these fine people (my girl included) don't have the imaginations of a goat! I'm honest here. We've had some successes but for these boosters that means making $200 over an entire weekend of a promotion. When that's compared to an estimated budget of over $60k just to keep running, it's not hard to see how they spin their wheels.

Well, Hammy to the rescue!..........and if this doesn't work - abject derision and excommunication. I'm not an official member of the boosters. That's Deb's gig and I help out but I don't poke into things too far. But this time I convinced her and the board to try a different type of promotion. It's a raffle but the prize is something a little different. It's a one-off, customized guitar in the school colors and motif. I'll be doing all of the work on the instrument to make it something special and then it will be displayed at a pair of local supporting businesses for folks to see as the contest goes along. The prize package will have the usual accessories too. Advertising support will be in the form of dressed window displays at the businesses, flyers, posters, and about 6 POP Ticket outlet displays. The boosters agreed to $100 for the project and I'm just ahead of budget right now. I'm funding the rest of the stuff just to make this thing fly. My goal is $1000 profit for the $100 budget. And that is likely to be at a $1.00 a ticket.

So, I was thinking...

Does anyone of my TB brothers know anyone famous?

That would be famous and nice enough to autograph the pickguard or in some way allow their signature to be reproduced in graphic form - to support a little marching band that could use some help? Hey it could be someone even regionally famous like Sting or someone just breaking into the biz like this guy named Dylan. ;) I would like to generate a little interest beyond the instrument itself and an autograph is an easy way to do it.

I would be very interested in talking with anyone that thinks they might be of help here. I can send the PG Fedex with return shipping and it can be handled in 20 minutes on both ends and 3 days overall.

To be honest, I will be a bit discriminating here as to the best candidate if I have a choice. Some names just wouldn't fit the look and concept like others might.

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    My marching band kicks ass.

We do car washes... We sell cookie dough... we sell fireworks... we sell ad space in the program for the competition we host... All sorts of things...

http://www.marchingpatriots.com/

There is our site if you want to have a browse, maybe contact our folk for some ideas..

I could probably get you a Buck Owens autographed something or other.

3. I just wanted to bump this to the top again.

C'mon folks...anybody?

I would get Diana DeGarmo's (she's a local) but there's some entanglement with contractual obligations to the American Idol people. And I know JT pretty well, but his stardom is in it's earliest stages. :)

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Like I said... I can get you buck owens.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Call Woodchuck. The rodent knows everyone.

6. Er,..Thanx Mike! Buck's not gonna make the cut this time.

That's right Brendan, I hadn't thought of the rodent droppin' names. I'm gonna hit him up now.

7. MrSaturn

MrSaturn

Oct 25, 2001
    Palm Springs, CA
    escrips. I am not too sure of the url. Figure out and Just have all the parents and grandparents of the kids sign up for it and you guys get money....

8. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I feel for you man. My little girl plays in a very, very, very small HS band (one snare drum!) Maybe 40-50 kids in all. I had never given the band boosters a thought until she joined. this year. I found out there are only a very few people who actually get involved in the dirty work and fund raising, but many who show up to vote on how the funds are spent. After witnessing this, I am now working every game along with the 6-8 faithful who carry the load. The band boosters are the "red headed step child", way down the list (athletic boosters are top dog.) We currently sell Chick-fil-A sandwiches, tea, shaved ice, etc. out of a tiny single axle trailer that Coke lets us use. We are looking for that magic fund raiser as well!

P.S. Hey our little band has a bass player! The school has a Bassman 200 on a cart that is run by a 12v converter(inverter?) It is loud enough to be heard most times without distorting.

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Hambone, is your first name Chris? The movie "Holes" was on TMN and having just returned from the bathroom, I was sorry to have missed the ending. However, in the credits, the music section passed by and I saw the name 'Chris "Hambone" _____' (I can't for the life of me remember the last name, even though it was less than five minutes ago).

Stinsok: Those Bassman amps are pretty nice. A guy in my program actually runs a Tele guitar through a Bassman and gets a pretty swank tone for jazz and blues.