1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Psyched out over new audition

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by oniman7, Aug 12, 2012.

1. I have been starving for music lately and looking for any avenue to play. I listen to a lot of stuff but like stuff that I find to be really emotionally intense - Opeth, Explosions In The Sky, Avenged Sevenfold, Katatonia, John Butler trio. I am a fan of "music" without genre and most of it happens to be heavy. Anyways, I replied to a Craigslist ad for an alternative rock/pop band. They cite influences like Radiohead, A Perfect Circle, Tears for Fears, Coldplay, Sting, John Denver etc. With the goal of becoming a digestable band, getting gigs, making a career, and maybe getting signed (we'll see what happens while I have the shot).

The kicker is that they want me to audition on Monday the 13th. They want me to come in, hear a song they're working on (with music I'm not familiar with and people whose musical styles I don't know) and write a new bass part. No covers, no jams. Just judged on that bass part.

I know my chordal and scalar theory, I've been practicing by writing my own music for all instruments, I'm a solid player. I feel like I am as well prepared as I can be, but for some reason this kind of audition freaks me out. I know professionals have to come in and do this stuff all the time, and I'll have to do it with the band, but it's still a little scary. Is there any advice TB has?

2. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    That does not sound like an audition to me. Sounds more like they are trying to get some bass tracks laid down for free. Why are they not sending you some kind of scratch track or something.

When pros do it they are usually getting paid. Is that not what a session player is. Big difference between writing with the band vs writing for the band.

Now that I vented my jaded and cynical rant, let me just say good luck and have fun. :)

3. He placed a big emphasis on everybody writing parts, so I will write it off as them testing my ability to do that. Now, if it keeps happening...