Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

psychedelic chords

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by paniak17, Jan 8, 2005.

1. what are some "psychedelic chords"? the aug9 is pretty psychadelic, what are some others, plz any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I'm sure I don't really know what you mean, but:

maj7#5, popular with Oregon: C E G# B (can add D F#)

Major triads a step apart, e.g., D over C (I don't know how to correctly notate that with html): C E G A D F#

D
    --
    C

Basically, I'd suggest taking any seventh sort of chord and raising the fifth, eleventh, or both. All of these sound airy and spacey.

3. Sounds like you need to learn a bit of theory, then you can answer your own question.

4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I like the sound of the Devil's chord, AKA stacked tritones Just make a shape of

anywhere on the neck, so it would be E Bb E Bb, or G Db G Db, etc. It also makes a really cool barre chord on guitar, like

Its a good kind of dissonance :cool:

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Uh, hmmm... I'd say something in the key of ***?

If you want to play "trippy stuff" get a delay pedal/some reverb or something of that nature.

Chords aren't really... well... Ok, maybe you mean "strange" chords? Hmmm... theroy is our friend... explore. Play one note, stack another on top of it... etc. Then try inverting it (place the bass note elsewhere, like an octave higher and make a different note the bass note) it will make it... different?

6. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD

Yeah, Roy is a cool dude.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    not Roy... THE Roy. He's seperate from all Roys... all Roys bow before The Roy.

[​IMG]

He also proves that smoking makes you look cool.

8. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    That's kind of a "yes and no," don't you think? I mean, theory gives you ways to talk about harmony, but it doesn't really tell you what to play. I understood the question to be a request for ideas of "different" chords to try. I guess I learned theory trying to understand and communicate the interesting chords I was goofing around with (along with reading the George Russell book...). "Psychedelic" is sort of a funny word to interpret out of context here -- I read it as "spacey" -- but if Paniak17 had just asked for some interesting chords to try, would you have told him (her?) to go learn theory?

Maybe I'm grumpy this morning, but jeepers, that seems like kind of a dismissive response. Sure, learn theory, but here's some interesting chords to try.

Now, "psychedelic." Try quartal and quintal chords, too.

Quartal = all fourths. C F Bb Eb (etc.).

Quintal = all fifths. C G D A (etc.).

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I tend to agree.
    Buffalo Springfiled's "For What It's Worth" is an early psychedelic tune with very basic chord shapes.

...or record any chord & then play it backwards.
    ;)

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    *mind blown by JimK's post* ;)

11. I hear that if you play anything by Matt Till backwards.......Youll hear Bill Cosby giving you orders to soil the minds of the youth. Of course, those are just rumors............. :bawl:

12. now lets throw in some reverb and float around :D

13. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Far out, man.

Look at the colors. The colors, maaaaaaaaaan. Whoa.

Oh. Sorry. Doing some field research. I'll get back to you with the results.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Karate Kid Voice ON

Once you can have a 45 minute conversation with this piece of celery, and find Half Baked to be the funniest movie ever, you will know the way of the psychedelic chords, paniak san.

Karate Kid Voice OFF

15. Got one half done...

Man, does half baked SUCK!

16. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    We sure are lucky to have such helpful people frequent these boards who can provide deeply thought out, informative and meaningfully educating posts like that one. Thanks bro! :meh:

17. Sus 4 (mixolydian) (I think) tends to be popular amongst the hippie bands. It has a sort of floaty feel to it. Use it too much and you'll sound like a lot of other bands. :cool:

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    One of the main things is listen to some bands that have that sound you are looking for. Listen to some "Stoner Rock" like Monster Magnet, Kyuss, etc. There is a thread on this genre. Also, listen to the bands that started it like The Animals, Cream, Blue Cheer, etc.

19. To Jeff, and others, my comments were dismissive because, as a teacher for over a decade, and a fulltime pro player for many years, in many genres, I get annoyed by people who want to play bass, but cant be bothered putting in the hard yards to play MUSIC. "Oh, it's too hard learning to read, I think I'll just play some power chords, or some trippy stuff"......
    I am totally of the Jeff Berlin and Anthony Jackson school of thought, and if I get flack for it, well so be it. They are possibly the two greatest bass guitarists on this planet at this time, and neither of them suffer fools gladly. Well sorry man, neither do I.

20. There still isn't really any such thing as a psychedelic chord, though......or even psychedelic music for that matter. :meh: