Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Psychedelic Pulsating Effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CodeYbassboy, Jan 7, 2006.

1. There are a couple of mellower tunes my band is doing that seem to cry out for a nice throbbing effect. Some sort of tremolo would be cool, but I'm also fond of a nice shimmery vibrato. The sound I have in mind is Graham Coxon's sound on various Blur songs (especially off of Modern Life is Rubbish)except on a bass . I know he used the Boss VB-2, which is beyond extinct and way out of my price range. Ideally I'd pick up a Carl Martin Trem O' Vibe, but alas, 260 clams is also out of my budget. So right now the DOD Vibrothang looks the most appealing. From what I've read its some sort of mutant trem/vibrato/phase shifter that can do straight up trem sounds as well some crazier stuff. I was wondering if anybody else used this one or if anybody had any other suggestions of this type of thing. Actually the Marshall Tremvibe seems pretty cool too, althought it got mixed reviews on Harmony Central. Any feedback you could give me would be super duper amazing.

Cheerio,

2. I am about to buy Electro-harmoniz Pulsar tremolo. It`s quite cheap (at least in Europe) and versatile too.

3. Red Witch Moon Phaser does tremelo and phasing with a six stage rotary selector. You also get to play with Velocity - determines the rate of the phase/ tremolo sweep - from an incredibly slow rise and fall to a super fast pulse.
    And with Trajectory - A unique control which adjusts the shape of the phased wave.
    Nice unit, built like a tank and quiet.

4. I had the Vibrothang & wasn't all that impressed; no waveform variation on the trem, & the 'vibe' side just didn't do much for me. Try it though- it's cheap & you might like it. Unlike many, I do like DOD build quality & durability.

5. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Quick question about tremolo effects: is it cruicial adjust the speed of the tremolo effect to the speed of the song you're playing in or ist this neglegible as long as the vibration occurs quickly enough?

6. It is negligible as long as it is fast enough. However, you can put it slower and adjust a tune in function of the tremolo's speed (pretty road movie-esk)

7. I've heard the PN-2 is more of a harsh chop/slice/dice style trem. I'm looking for a sort of mellow throb. Any word on Guyatone's mini-trem?

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The Vibrothang isn't exactly a vibrato. It's more like a very flexible Univibe phaser. You can get trem, vibrato and phase sounds. MF always has it on sale for $40. It's a tad noisy but hey, if you ain't recording, who cares?

brmpf: Some trems' speed can be controlled. Example: Line6's MM4. you can control the speed by both pedal and attack (play hard and the trem goes fast and vice versa).

9. Line6 has tap tremolo in their tonecore -series...

10. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Might be a bit hard to find, but the Prescription Electronics "Throb" is one of the best I've ever heard.