Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Psycho Bass Guy....I think this is your territory...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thelastofus, Nov 1, 2002.

1. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    My 400+ blows fuses. It just blew three of them. I called the Mesa store in Hollywood and the guys said it sounds like a bad power tube. I haven't heard of this before but does this sound like it and if not what could be the problem. Thanks. I would really like to play my amp again someday so hopefully somecan can shed some light on this.

2. Back in the 70's I had a big Traynor tube amp. I had 4 6CA7 (or something like that) power tubes and a fan to keep down the heat. It was fine gigging on the wk end but when I took it on the road it started blowing fusses. I got tired of that crap and put a cigarette foil around the fuse (real bad idea) and played on. The next thing I saw was all the tubes lit up red orange like a light bulb and the sound going to hell. Took it to a tech and he said I had 2 bad power tubes. He replaced them and adjusted the bias to balance all 4 tubes. The thing worked OK for a while but it never reliable. I ended up selling it and getting a Sunn. It had tubes as well but they were the great big ones and they never gave me an ounce of trouble. I think I replaced them once in like 20 years. Tube amps are funny.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If god had wanted us to use tube amps, he never would have given us big enough brains to invent transistors.

4. If God had wanted us to listen to you Munji, He would have given you sense enough to say something intelligent every now and then. :p

5. Hey Mung there is at least one tube in your Eden...
    You do crack me up though..:D

6. Sorry I meant Munj

7. It could be a tube but Phycos right take it in. I lost a tube on my Sunn 300t at a haloween party. I flicked it off stanby and the house blew a circut. damm after they turned it back on I tried it again and blew the 10 amp main. I found out it was shorted have new tubes on the way
    Benton

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Ouch.

9. It is your power tube almost un-doubtably. stick a fuse in there and watch your bottles carfeully. The bad tube should show itself fairly quick.
    Jeez guys..Munji makes a witty comment w/o insulting Mesa (a first) and y'all jump all over him. He even admitted to not hating Mesa anymore a week or so ago. Don't send him back over to the dark side again!