Psycho Dog Adopter

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Johnny Fila, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader" Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    as many of you know from this thread http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385578
    I've been trying to find my deceased neighbor's dog a home. I had found her a home, now I have her back. sigh...............:(

The woman turned out to be psycho or schizo or whatever. Late thursday evening she left me a voicemail saying that she was attacked in her car and the dog jumped out the window of the car and ran off.

After I listened to the message friday morning, I called her. She then told me that she had a home invasion and that the perps kicked the dog and she, the dog, ran out the door, not to be seen again that night.

Friday morn, b4 I called her, but unknown to me, Floral Park police had called me to let me know that they had the dog in possesion. I told them good, either the woman or myself would pick her up. I then told FP police what the woman told me and they said that they heard nothing of it from NCPD 3rd precinct. So then I went to get the dog and the officer told me that he called NCPD 3rd again just to verify anything, but there was no report of a home invasion. He released the dog to me with the stipulation that I not return it to her as something wasn't right. Plus she needs a bath agian, somehow (which she will Jan 2nd).
    When I got to my car I called her and asked her if the police came and she filed a report, etc. to which she said yes, then I told her that there was no record to which she kept changing her story to maybe she filed a report, then she doesn't remember if she did, then maybe her aunt and uncle filed it, blah blah blah. I then said to her, "look you're holding something back from me. The FP Police were ready to arrest you on a misdemeanor charge because you would have given the same statement to them as you did to me, but fortunately for you, you didn't go to pick up the dog". Then she said something abut neighbor hood kids busting into her house and getting violent and locking her in her car and the dog ran off and she didn't want to get the kids in trouble with the police.

She sounded genuinely distressed. But at the same time, I took this dog in to keep it from harm. Although, I don't know my neighbor who died, I think that it's what he would want.

She was actually a bit peeved that I wouldn't bring the dog to her. I think a person in their right mind would be more understanding and tell me that they made a mistake and that they understand that I would/should think it over.

2. csala

csala

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca
    You're doing something noble by trying to get that dog a new home. Unfortunately this woman sounds like a lunatic. What is the process you use to decide if the home is right for the dog?

3. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I go to the house and check out the people, get an idea of how they live, ask many general questions, ask for ID. I'm in home improvement sales so I meet many people and usually my judgement is on the money. But i failed on this one.:meh:

4. csala

csala

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca
    Do you check their medicine cabinets?:ninja:

I've placed quite a few dogs and usually I'll ask for a donation to a local no kill dog shelter. This is so the adoptor puts some skin in the game and shows willingness upfront to pay for an animal's "expenses". It also obviously helps other dogs, so you double the benefit. I'm sorry it didn't work out on this one but that dog looks sweet and should find a nice home. Best of luck helping a defenseless animal.

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Bizare to say the least , even more shocking was the police wanting to fine you for the Dog being loose.

6. That sucks. If I was closer, I would be interested in adopting the dog.

lowsound

7. I've said this before....

maybe it's an other sign that you should keep the dog?

8. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Man, I thought this was a thread about Ellen Degeneres.

9. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    lol. I think that would have read "Psycho B**** Adopter":p

10. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    meh. I don't know.

11. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    If I were in the position, I'd definitely take her in. She looks a little like my dog.

And sorry it didn't work out with the first person. But hey, now you know of one person not to get a dog to.

12. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    Keep the dog man. The dog will remember it ;)

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021