1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PU for Musicmaster

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JJT, Nov 8, 2006.

1. JJT

JJT

Nov 8, 2006
    Hi. Newbie here. The pickguard snapped on my mid-70s Musicmaster bass and have ordered a replacement from pickguardheaven.com. Removing it, boy was I surprised to see a ~six~ magnet Strat-style single-wound pickup in this 4-string bass! I guess its the same pickup as on a Musicmaster guitar. I'm considering replacing this. I may need to settle for a rail-type, since the strings are closer than standard (2" from E to G). So far, I've learned about Seymour Duncan's "Cool Rails for Strats" neck pickup and, if I want active, EMG's SA pickup. Can y'all recommend any other pickup I can drop in there? I play blues, old R&B and rock. -JJT

2. JJT

JJT

Nov 8, 2006
    P.S. The Musicmaster's pickguard and body is routed for one Stratocaster-sized (single-wound) pickup.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Do the rout. Drop in a Dark Star ...

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

5. Was there any thing wrong with the basses sound or are you just changing the pickup because you learned it has six poles? If it isn’t broke don't fix it.

On the other hand, if I wanted to toss in a replacement fast and cheap I would try some Lace Sensor pickups. No pole problems with those and they still sort of look the part.

6. malicous

malicous

Apr 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    + 1

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Bam!