PU options for a P bass PU location.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DavidEdenAria, Mar 4, 2017.

1. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    I have a 70's Japan P bass type, constructed with ash wings with maple center on the body....neck is maple and RW board.

I will try various P pickups first........otoh, what are some other PU options that may require a route?

Darkstar?

What P pickups are likely to 'tonally' fit a heavy ash body with a maple center block?

2. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    "Tonally fit" is something you should determine. P pups can be had fairly cheap, especially used. Have fun :)

That said, the 70s+ash+maple combination leads me to think bright, aggressive sounds. DiMarzio Model P might fit that well. Or if you want to offset the combo, something alnico might be better, maybe something from Seymour Duncan.

Finally, with routing, pretty much ANY pickup would fit. You first need to figure out the tone you want. I'd start with the P's, that's always a good place to start. If you don't like the P, determine what exactly you don't like about it - it will help you narrow down what alternatives you might want to try.

DavidEdenAria likes this.
  3. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    My thoughts almost exactly, thanks!

That is the great thing about P basses, the abundance of used and/or cheap pickups these days makes them very desirable to experiment with.

This P bass clone does NOT have a pickguard btw.....I will definitely stick with P type pickups for now since it has a very clean route for the P pickup.

sikamikanico likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021