Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PU selecting??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Berten, May 21, 2003.

1. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    I was just thinking:
    for a good slaptone: neck PU
    for growly fingerstyle: bridge PU
    But what do you guys do when you play a song with both slap and fingerstyle?? Just compromise and use both PU's or use the 'slapsetting' for the fingertstyle also or....

Thanks

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

On all the basses I've had, the best slap tone was with both pickups on full.

Neck pu only was too 'woofy'!! ;)

3. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    I play a 5string with J-style PU's and the NeckPu sound great soloed for slap and the bridge (not solo, but just a little neck)sounds great for fingerstyle. But I can't find a right balance for both!!!

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I tend to use an equal blend of the two pickups (volume / blend controls, not two volumes) - that way I get the full sound from each pickup, which I think of as good representation of the sound of the bass... tonal variation comes with how I play it.

For your situation, you've got various choices:

- find a tone you're happy with for both fingerstyle and slap passages

- find two settings that you can quickly flick between (I've got coil tap switches for each pickup and these often do the trick for me if I want to change the sound via electronics in mid song)

- find a tone you really like for the most important section and that you can live with for the other bit

- rearrange the song so that you don't switch technique part way through

Lots of choices... but in the end, it's your setup, fingers and ears that will help you decide.

Wulf