1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PU sunken nuts...where to buy?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Le Basseur, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Hi all,
    I'm looking for some sunken nuts,as seen in the attached pic (courtesy of the original poster of the thread
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232001 ).
    Obviously,the pictured nuts are from a Warwick's back cover but I'm looking for the same parts,only of a smaller diameter.
    I have (and had) some basses on repair wich have the PUs' wood screw holes widened up from a few PU tests/replacements.Sometimes,a PU just pops out and I hate loosing my time with such stupid repairs. I just thought that installing a metal nut for each PU screw on each PU's cavity (as found on certain Warwicks and whatever) would be a more elegant and hassle-free solution.
    Does anyone know where I could find such items?
    Thank you!
    Regards,

2. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    I think your best bet would be to talk to the repair department at your local Warwick dealer, or Warwick directly. The only inserts I've seen online or in stores would be more suited to mounting a bolt on neck than use as pup screws.

Good luck.

3. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Just FYI, those are usually called threaded inserts - might help you locate some near you. Check with any store that sells woodworking supplies.

I found these.....

.....by Googling "threaded brass inserts", but I don't know if they ship to Croatia.

I don't know if you're familiar with screw size designations, but 4-40 is very small, and 2-56 is tiny. I'm pretty sure that 4-40 would be small enough for your purpose. You might even be able to use a 6-32. You probably ought to buy a few screw sizes to see what will fit through your pickups.

You might try e-mailing some european luthiers (Jerzy Drozd, JP Basses, Celinder, etc.) to see if they might sell you a few or direct you to a source.

Or for that matter, try posting in the Luthiers Corner forum here at TalkBass.

4. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    definitely shoot a PM to Hambone, I know that he uses threaded inserts anywhere that a screw goes into wood (well MAYBE not for pickgaurds, but then again). I know that he has done pickups this way as well as necks, and bridges.

5. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Thanks alot guys for your help and sugestions!
    Great infos!:hyper:
    Best regards,