Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Public Questioning of the Moderaters power, or lack thereof.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PollyBass, Oct 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ahem, i'd like to publicly question the power of the mod's. seeing as how it's just so darn fun. and i ask this be left up. For others who also can come out of the framework, and speak up. Most of the Mod's are great guys, with good idea's. but very biased and controling... it's a website guys, not a new born baby. I once again ask this be left up to HEAR what other people think about it. leaving this up would in no way hurt you (The Mod's) other than the fact that some people might not like the amount of power you have, regardless, it's not up to the people that post their views here to "Put you in your place" but rather voice their view. If this Thread is deleted, i now know the extent of your fear and "God Complex" that hopefully, none of you have. Once again, i am not mad at any mod, Just questioning the extent of their power. and that topic should be, and will be, either between people with messaging, or email, discussed. Thanks for your time.

2. The mods only have a problem with you because you have a tendency to make breathtakingly stupid posts, Polly.

There's plenty of freedom of interaction in discussion, as long as what is posted is intelligent and coherent.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The extent of our powers only covers the extent of some people's stupidity.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I don't think your initial thread posting will get deleted because you have jazzbo, Gard, and John as "off Topic" mods and they are very tolerant and broadminded in my view.

Yeah, I've seen some innocuous threads get closed in other forums just because the topic didn't suit the individual mod's taste. That seemed unfair.

But, I always figured if I had a real problem with any mod, it was up to me to apply for the position and be part of the solution. After all, there is no "mod training"......they have to rely on their best judgement and usually, it has been admirable to me.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Oh, and Polly, in your sig, it's "Sarcasm," not "Sarcasem"

6. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Either in our daily lives or on the internet, we do not live in a utopia where everyone does the right thing ONLY because it is the right thing to do. Therefore, Moderators, school adminitrators, police officers, military force, etc. are all necessary components of society in order to keep it functioning in some sort of sane and harmonious fashion. Do we always agree with the Moderator's actions? No. But in order to be a part of this online community of knowledge and ideas, we have to trust that Paul is choosing Moderators that are going to be as fair and unbaised as possible, which is the way we want all of our peace-keepers to be.

Keep up the good job that you folks are doing. Maybe one day I will be part of the crew.

Nameste,
    Robert

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've pointed that out to him before (in a now deleted thread). I don't think he cares.

Simply put, if I didn't like how this website works, I'd go to a different website. There are lots of bass websites out there where the mods will allow unintelligent postings, and where the members can rant off at the mods for actaully attempting to keep some sort of coherence and order to the site. Go there if that's what you need.

In the meantime, do not expect TalkBass to work like a democracy. TalkBass is a piece of property, owned and operated however Paul sees fit, and I think it is a wonderful site that is incredibly well-maintained. If you have so desparate an issue with not being able to question moderators in public for some reason, turn off your computer, walk outside, look at the world around you, and realize that there's a hell of a lot more pressing issues in life than not being able to publicly whine about moderators trying to maintain order on a website.

Have a nice day.

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    This website belongs to Paul, and he's free to run it how he pleases. This is not democracy. In fact, Paul pays money (and a lot of it) to keep this place here.

To quote something I read once - "You no makee the game, you no makee the rules."

9. It's not your place to question the mods or any "power" they have. Paul's website, he makes the rules, he chooses the mods to enforce the rules. What do you not understand about this quite simplistic system? Live with it or leave, not alot of options to weigh here.

10. rickbass

But let's keep Paul's wonderful concept in mind - this site is more of a "democracy" of free speech than a "dictatorship."

"Control", "censorship" and "dogma" are not even close to his desires for this website, IMO. Free speech is cool as long as you don't attack someone and they don't attack you.

What some people don't get is that this site won't tolerate vulgarity, (unlike some other websites) because profanity is actually a "prison" if you think about it.

11. Even a democracy has rules, and if you don't follow them, there are consequences. The rules state that publicly questioning moderators is forbidden. Pretty self-explanitory if you ask me.

12. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Actually, I had some similar issues with TB a little while back. I had to do some thinking about whether I wanted to remain a TB member or not. Issues I had with some of the actions of certain mods were bothering me. I tried to resolve this by PM'ing the mods with which I had issues, and also by discussing it with Paul. Whether their replies were satisfactory or not, to their credit they all took the time to respond to me. I then, out of frustration, began to post some rebellious stuff, trying to push the limits.
    I was ready to throw in the towel on TB, and then john turner, (with whom I did not have any issues), PM'ed me out of the blue and took a personal interest in my problems with the site. Thanks to jt, I decided to give it another chance and tone my attitude down. I'm glad I did and I appreciated his attitude. He suggested I cut back on the amount of time I spend here and to stay away from the Off-Topic forum for a while. He also convinced me to go to the Atlanta get-together and get to know some of the guys, which was, as it turns out, an excellent idea.

Why should you care about any of this? I just wanted to relate my experiences, and maybe give other members, who have issues with TB some ideas for resolving them. FWIW;YMMV,IMO, etc.

13. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Posts like this one don't help anything. They only serve to further inflame the problem.;)

14. When I start to get my panties tied up in knots because I feel that a mod should not have closed/deleted a thread, I always think back to the following wise words from a wise man:

:D

15. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    agreed, please stop using my macros the wrong way...

16. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Not to further the conversation, but I have to ask. Dave, is the blond one in the middle with the drumsticks a boy or a really young girl? I can't tell.

Nameste,
    Robert

17. rickbass

I think you are interpreting it too narrowly, strat. But you raise a good issue.

The rules state "Do not even think about publicly complaining about a moderators actions. If you have a problem with a moderator's decisions, email the administration."

It's clear to me that a member should not publicly question a mod's SPECIFIC decision on censuring a SPECIFIC post.

This thread is just about the function of moderaters in general. It's not calling any single mod or single decision on the carpet.......just a healthy look at the function in general that is reasonable to look at periodically.

18. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.