Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

public retraction

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by CS, Aug 19, 2002.

1. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    heres part of a post by me from a past thread started by Mike.

The Chordal Approach by Mike Dimin arrived Saturday (10 days after I ordered it) with some ER20's through my letterbox in dear old Blighty.

Why the change of heart? I have my reasons. More importantly this book is excellent. It is an A4 jobby with those metal binders which means you can have it open on one page with out bending it.

The chordal method of playing is not as limiting as I once thought and throws a lot of note choices at you (and why) it also shows you why a certain chord change sounds so scrummy.

I have worked through the first chapter and for me the scales and the fact that they are in standard notation are worth the entry fee. Dont worry all the pieces have tab as well so anyone can have a go.

So to Mike well done and please accept my public turnaround and apologies for giving you a hard time earlier.

2. b0nes83

b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    That first quote is mean. peace
    Chad

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Chris,
    Thanks for your kind words. I am glad that your package arrived safely and as quickly as it did (10 days from the US to the UK). Unlike some past "ask the pros" here, I do not have a problem with you or anyone else expressing their opinions and in fact I believe I started the thread in question. The internet is a strange beast and if you're going to be part of it you need to have an expectation of what might happen.

I thank you for your retraction and more importantly your endorsement of the book.

Mike

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Chad,
    Hope you've been well. I didn't think that Chris was being mean, just brutally honest - maybe a bit too brutal ;o). I never mind honesty. What I mind is self pretensious jerks who are all angry (and jealous) of everyone else because they feel that they don't get the recognition that they deserve - that they're not on the cover of bass player. If this reminds you of someone ... how about your teacher Mike W - now that man is an A**HOLE!!!!

He came into my gig on Fri night. He obviously new the sax player and right in front of me (like I was not even there) said "whose the bass player". Man, how rude can that guy be. I'm really glad that my gig was paying more than double than his gig. He could not find the common courtesy to do it the right way, introduce himself. Now I knew who he was, because it is MY JOB to know who he is. So I introduced myself and asked him why so many of his students were coming to me for lessons and advice. I sure hope I pissed him off a bit because I also feel that it is MY JOB to piss off Mike W and all the other self-important blow holes out there.

stay well. Keep learning from him just don't learn to be like him

Mike

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    You are welcome.

I'm still being (too;) ) brutally honest, it's just a bit more positive.

6. Nice book.
    And most of all it does help to build up speed and quality for chordal playing.

7. b0nes83

b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    Hey Mike, I am doing pretty well. Still working on the same classical tune(stressfull). About Mike W, noone can get enough of that guy. All musicians in the area that I have talked to about Mike all say the same thing...agreeing to your above statements. Lessons are crazy with him, not a lot of work gets done, mostly him talking and me smiling and doing the same old fake little laugh when he tells me some story that has no relevants to what we did in that lesson. dah well...its just one more person that i have to put up with before i transfer.

Does he have an account here on Talkbass.com?

peace
    Chad