Public schools vs Private

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    I hope someone can give me insight into the following questions

1:Are private schools more expensive then Public schools because they have more control over the students?

2:Why is it that Private schools can excercise more control/discipline over kids that Public?

I have a feeling question #2 is part of the answer to question #1, but I am not sure, but I really just dont understand why Public schools are not allowed to have more control over students, students are there to learn right? am I seeing this as too simple of a solution, i.e....give the public schools the same power as private schools to handle the students, or is it really that much more complicated?

I think the students would be better off in public schools if they had less distractions like the latest shoes, dress, pants, cell phones etc to take their attention off the real reason why they are there, TO LEARN...if you clown in private schools, after so many warnings, you are out, period, but in our public schools, kids come to school with knives, guns etc, are bullied, and it seems like the school is not sure how to deal with it. I think a lot of families would be at ease if Public Schools could have more control over students, I am sure the teachers would breath a sigh of relief. Please undetstand, I know NOT ALL KIDS in public schools are the problem, or have issues, Many are outstanding students, but there is for sure a problem with lack of control/discipline, I went to one myself, and its like anything goes. but that could just be did not use to be like this!
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    From what I've noticed-
    The 'power'(as you say), especially in Public schools, has been transferred to the 'students'(& their sycophant parents). Not a recent trend, either...although it seems like it's gone way beyond control in the past 10 years.

But whadda I know, I went to Private school K-college.
  3. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Private school cost more for a number of reasons depending on the schools. There may be more teachers per student, there may be more programs, or certain programs that cost more. Private schools, while they do receive some public money, don't get as much as the public schools.

Private schools can be more controlling because they have the parent support (the parents DID choose to send their kids there). Also, if the student and/or parent doesn't like the control or any other aspect of the school environment, they can leave and go to the public school.
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Another reason private schools exist is so that you can choose to send your child through a school that encourages and acts upon a certain set of beliefs or principals, i.e., Catholic school. If you are of a religious slant and are unhappy with the lack of religion in your child's schooling at a public school, you can send them to a religious-based school where they can pray before school, have classes about the Bible, etc.
  5. This is how it is in my country: the children that go to private schools are forced by their parents to learn because they have to pay. On the other hand, a lot of students attending the public schools don't care about their education or their future (of course not all of them but these are the ones that cause the problems).

My parents have told me that 30 years ago everyone went to public schools exept the students that were too stupid (literally) to finish the school
  6. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    In this day and age it is far more important how you raise the kids than where you send them to school. My son is 9, in a public school, and hasn't had a grade lower than a B in 5 years. He's smart as a whip, a very gifted athlete(soccer), and tough as hell. Screw with him and he'll drop you like a bad habit. He's the most popular kid in his class and all his teachers love him. That being said, he knows if he even takes 1/2 a step out of line, I'm going to drop the hammer. he would excell in whatever academic situation I placed him in. I am planning on a private high school though, that's usually when the sh*t hits the fan anyway. Raise your kids right and then trust them to make the right decisions. And when they don't, kick their ass.

That's the major problem today, most parents are pussies and won't be tough when it's called for. The result is some of the little monsters we have running around today. I recently had a mom of one of my traveling soccer players complain to me because I made her kid do pushups and run a few laps for constanly disrupting practice. I tried reasoning with her about the whole teamwork and discipline thing. When she refused to budge, I cut her kid right there on the spot. My team may never win a game, but I won't have a team full of little jerks.
  7. This should be in OT.

8. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    So lets focus on the public schools for a minuete, why do the kids even have the opportunity to act out of order with no/little backlash from the teachers? I hear so much about how our public schools are this, need this, and how important education is, I agree! so knowing this, why do students have more power to disrupt the process then the teachers to controll it? this makes ABSOLUTLY no sense to me at all:confused: I am not suggesting beating the you know what out of unruley students, "although I am sure some are close to the edge to qualify for one" but, when teachers are scared to go to teach because of the students! thats just out of order. I hope we have some teachers here on TB that can chime in on this, as well as students, because they BOTH know what goes on and why.
  9. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    It is very difficult to confront students if their parents are willing to back them no matter what they do. If a child is suspended or expelled from school you can count on the whole thing going to court before any action has taken place. Think of it from the child's point of view. If a kid can get into any kind of trouble and if the parent is willing to take on the whole school system (and many are) they'll probably get away with it. I mean there is only so much energy in a day with several hundred students to deal with, and your own life... do you really want to add litigation? Will the administration back your actions to discipline the children...some do, but if you don't have their backing, and try to discipline it can blow up in your face... and then what happens to the authority in the classroom?

All that being said. Remember, what most people know of schools is what they see on the news, what their own child has to say about it... and lots of other second hand information that may or may not be very informed. For the most part the schools are working. Funding is usually the difference between schools that are good and schools that aren't.
  10. Skeletomania

Oct 25, 2005
    hong kong
    I have been in both private and public school. Honestly, school makes no difference. It is the product of your raising that affects the kids. The kids in private seems more well behaved is because they are more fortunate in the life they live in. A well rounded family, good income, live in a good neighborhood, and hang around a good crowd. It is how you raised and the surroundings you come across that condition who the person might become.
  11. Another reason private schools can be tougher on kids is because they can kick out offenders. Where I live, anyway, the most a public school can do is suspend misbehaving students, and only for a few days total (I want to says the limit is around two weeks).
  12. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    +1... (maybe =1,000,000)

This is the answer. Simple to say. But it takes a life of committment to secure. I've taught for 30 years and parents and their love make the difference.
  13. ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Please don't fall into the trap of thinking that Public Schools are full of raging idiots, while Private Schools are full of angels. They both have there good and bad kids. In my experience the kids in Private Schools are just better at keeping their foibles hidden.
  14. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    My dad just retired from public school teaching. You used to be able to paddle the kids if they acted up; parents used to back the teachers. Paddling wasn't so much about the distribution of pain, it was more about embarrassing the kid in front of his/her peers, which was really effective. Everyone would snicker at each 'crack' of the paddle from the hallway.

Now the parents think their kids can do no wrong. The district is so afraid of lawsuits that the name of the game is now to get the kids through to graduation as easily as possible. They are passed whether they know the material or not because "we don't want to hurt their self esteem." You can't give someone self esteem; they have to earn it by accomplishing something.

Also, the unions tend to make all teachers equal; top performing teachers will likely make the same $$ as the lazy guy who has tenure due to contracts. I work in I.T.; if you don't perform, you get thrown out on your ass, and top performers are rewarded with higher pay and other perks. That's the way it should be. I, and I alone, am ultimately responsible for my compensation and my success in my career.
  15. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    You are right, and I have see it, but they are only allowed to go so far. A much better controlled environment, and the kids are really not that good at keeping things hidden from the teachers in private schools, but they know they have tougher boundries that had better not get crossed if they want to stay there.
  16. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    Thats interesting, I was under the impression that Teachers in general are very much under paid in Public school.:meh:
  17. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Music related? Miscellaneous

Not music related? Off Topic
  18. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    In my experience:

Public school can suspend any student indefinately. If they follow proper procedure, they'll have no problem enforcing it.

The Private catholic school in our area has a much higher student to teacher ratio than the public schools

Public school teachers generally make more than Private school teachers.

While I agree that discipline has gotten more lax, I'm not a fan of battery as routine punishment.
  19. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Good teachers are very much underpaid. Lousy, lazy teachers have a solid job that, unless they sleep with a student or something, they will have until retirement. They freeload, getting protected by the union when they should be fired. A lot of teachers care about the kids. Many of them (through burnout, or whatever reason) don't anymore. They get cynical and wait for their 30-and-out deal. We are now paying more per student than we ever have, and the results are worsening.

I just happen to believe that pay should be merit, rather than seniority based. If there was actual competition allowed in schools, schools would pay more for top performing teachers.

My mom, dad, and my sister are/have been teachers; I am definitely not anti-teacher. I am, however, pro-competition and pro-capitalism.
  20. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    There's some pretty broad generalizations here. The same thing can be said of any business or industry. However, I think you made your last point just fine....;) :meh:
    In many cases that is already in place.
    In which case teachers can subjected to the same favoritism and subjective pay systems the rest of us poor schlubs have to go through...;)

(Added note: Teachers unions exist because for years they were so grossly underpaid for their responsibilities, primarily because they were women. I'm not sure they have ever caught up, given their role in society, and the cost of obtaining and maintaining their certifications.)