Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Public service announcement for Stephen King fans.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    If you've been reading the Dark Tower series, the next installment (Book VI: The Song of Susannah) just came out today. I figured some of you might like to know.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    thank you sir, I did not know and I have been reading.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Stephen King still has fans?

Man, am I outta the loop.

4. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    -your one of those, "he's a hack" snobs then? Few authors get the amazing amount of grief he does. I for one, am very entertained by his stories despite some aspects of their delivery.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    thanks for the headsup. i have been reading them, and i was just at a bookstore on saturday looking for this book. guess i just missed it by a day or two.

6. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I have read just about everything he's ever written... except the dark tower series.

Dunno why. I just never had the urge. Maybe I should.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    No. I believe he's written some amazing stories. I also think he's done his share of hack work, too. I'm a writer, too, so delivery is big with me.

I've never regretted reading a King book, but I've come away from some pretty blah.

8. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I haven't read anything he's written... except the Dark Tower series.

Dunno why. I just never had the urge. Maybe I should.

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i really dig the dark tower books.

i started reading the tommyknockers once and completely lost interest about 100 pages in.

for my horror i like more of the brian lumley/clive barker blood baths than the odd subtleties and quirkiness that king seems to be known for, although my wife and i try to rent every king adaptation we can come across, and have seen pretty much everything that's available.

10. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I had never read any Stephen King books until my roommate got me The Gunslinger for Christmas. I immediately devoured that one and the next 4 books within a month. I've been dying to read the next two. I'm glad I didn't start reading these books 19 years ago, when King started them, and then stopped writing them for 17 years. I would have been pissed!

So where do I go from here, once I've finished this series? Any recommendations for where to start with his work?

11. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Have you read much of Clive Barker's new stuff? I have read (I think) just about everything that he has put into print and his new stuff is very different from the old stuff (ie Books of Blood, Hellbound Heart etc). I must say I like his new stuff better - it shows a lot of maturity in the writing style.

Just wondering what your thoughts are?

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It, Tommyknockers, Graveyard Shift, The Shining, and the Stand.

13. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    +1 on the Stand - most of his stuff is okay to good, but I would rate the Stand as excellent!

14. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I'm not a huge fan of his usual stuff but I really liked his jointly written books with Peter Straub; the Talisman and Black House. Anyone else read them?

15. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I like all of Kings work but my favorites and the one's I'd recommend are:

Salem's Lot
    The Shining
    The Stand
    The Dead Zone

I'd also highly recommend some of his short story compilations.

Skeleton Crew, paticularly the story "Survivor Type".
    Different Seasons - has the short story, "The Body", that the movie "Stand by Me" was based on as well as "Apt Pupil" and the greatest king story of all time, IMHO, "Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption".

16. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I read The Talisman many moons ago and is probably my favorite book by King (& Straub). Isn't The Talisman the first book in the dark tower series? I thought for some reason it was.

Other good (great?) writings by King include the Bachman Books, which are short stories King wrote under a pseudonym. I particularly enjoyed Rage, The Long Walk, Running Man & the short story about quitting smoking. Oh yeah, the short story about the surgeon/smuggler stuck on an island with a boatload of 'H' was pretty cool too. :)

Thinner was freaky deaky also, but I think King wrote that under his real name.

17. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Thanks for the heads up. I just finished Wolves of the Calla two nights ago.

18. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    All right. -Sorry, I tend to over react a little with Stephen King critics. I had a guitarist who constantly went on and on at great and boring length about what a hack he is. Said guitarist is quite the snob (his girlfriend once remarked, "I saw my mechanic at the poetry reading last night, can you believe it?" He looked appropriately shocked.

I was a comp. lit. major, so delivery, after years of dissection, can mean less to me depending on the content.

My favorite King books: the Stand, the Dark Tower series, IT, selected short stories, The Talisman ( I have the 2nd one, but haven't read it yet).

19. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    of his newer stuff i've only read cold heart canyon, although i did read weaveworld, the great and secret show, the thief of always and the damnation game.

i thought cold heart canyon was good, but it seemed a bit subdued for what i've come to expect from him. the romantic twist at the end seemed a bit forced to me too, but maybe that's just me.

anyone who's a computer gamer and into horror stories i can't suggest strongly enough clive barker's undying game. that game is wonderful, spooky and very very cool and original.

20. i either love or hate his books. some of them feel like he was working against the clock to get them done... or like he was getting sick of the book before he finished and he just kinda fakes the last couple chapters... tommyknockers, needful things, the latest bachman book, etc. hell, even the end of the stand felt like that to me. "oh crap, next week is my deadline and i could write another thousand pages in this turd! i better wrap it up now."
    which is also why i love gunslinger, and from the three that i read, they're getting weaker as he goes. i'll still finish out the series, cause it's like crack for me.