1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Public Speaking

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lost Drummer, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Lost Drummer

Lost Drummer

Aug 27, 2007
    Nashville TN
    I just came from a speech class and was asked to do a 90 second speech on myself. I ran out of speech before the time limit was up so I said "and now I will expound upon the effects of PB&J sandwiches on the modern steel making industry... There are no effects on the modern steel making industry"

It got a big laugh and ate up the rest of the time I was alloted so everything worked out.

How do you deal with akward situations with public speaking?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I start thinking out loud, and I let the audience know this. It brings in a handful of laughs and by the time people stop laughing, I'm back on track.

-Mike

3. Lost Drummer

Lost Drummer

Aug 27, 2007
    Nashville TN
    the other thought I had for stretching out the time would be to perform an impromtu tap dance rendition of Betoveen's 5th symphony.

I think I made the right choice

4. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Nicely done, good sir! It's always awesome when someone realizes he doesn't need to take himself too seriously in this kind of speech.

I have a horrible stutter, so whenever I get caught in the middle of a speech (doesn't happen often, but when it does, it SUCKS) I just do this sort of beat box thing until I know I can continue.

Or I sing the Star Spangled Banner. Always gets a cheer or two.

5. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Impromptu public speaking is a great way to find out how you think on your feet. The PB&J effect on the steel industry was an outstanding segue to an exit point.

Public speaking is a very strong point personally, as I use to suffer from extreme nervousness about it. Now, I can stand in front of 20,000 people and bore them to death with just about any speech. The more you do it, the more comfortable you become with it.

If you play out at all, become part of the front show, this will also help. Any and all experience speaking in front of people will help you to build confidence

6. Lost Drummer

Lost Drummer

Aug 27, 2007
    Nashville TN
    I just jam with freinds but I think I'd do okay in front of an audience.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

I think public speaking should have a stronger place in university education.

8. My Dad was known for being a wood and metal shop teacher but he also taught a Public Speaking class for both HS and Adult Education. He was often asked to MC graduations, school functions and even give eulogies at funerals when no one else could speak. He could talk comfortably on just about any subject, in front of HUGE crowds, no problem at all, even putting other speakers at ease that were wiht him. I don't now how he did it, I took the class and no matter what, with all his help, I totally SUCKED at it :meh:

9. Lost Drummer

Lost Drummer

Aug 27, 2007
    Nashville TN
    as should personal finance... what's the point of making money if you don't know what to do with it?

10. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I've grown to like public speaking. The improvised portion of it is what makes it fun.

11. Lost Drummer

Lost Drummer

Aug 27, 2007
    Nashville TN
    I like to get them to laugh at least once so I can reassure myself that I am talking to human beings and not souless golems.

12. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    I think public speaking and personal finance are simple enough, yet useful enough, subjects that they should be covered in high school.

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Get up there and wing it. Works every time, and it's always nice to feel the heat on your back as you dance through improvised passages.

14. Lost Drummer

Lost Drummer

Aug 27, 2007
    Nashville TN
    Infront of some audiences I think they will dig my improv.

Infront of others I'd rather do something less humiliating... like skydive into a thimble of water.

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    That would be a neat trick if you could pull it off.